The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (1946GMCDAN, Gdads51, JW51, 3B, Lightholder's Dad, Donf), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,110
Posts1,037,374
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Shop Shark
if it is too bad, you would probably be better off getting a new tank, I found it cheaper than having it boiled out and sealed. Around here they charge something like $250 at a radiator shop, at least all the places I called. I replaced all the fuel lines. If you find a glass top pump, there is a very fine suction screen, which will help with the stray rust bits. I got chunks from the filler neck, which just had some surface rust mostly, but at least one big enough to stop my fuel pump. You need a filter of some sort before the carburetor. It seems the new gasahol can damage some types of rubber, be mindful of that when choosing components.

M
'Bolter
I had my tank chemically dipped (Chem-Strip) for $130 and it looks brand new inside and out. You don't need to cut the tank open or coat it when done unless there are pin holes. The process also leaves the original tin coating in place as it's not acid based.

Mike B smile

G
Shop Shark
After trying to salvage my old tank, plus two carb rebuilds and having it die a couple of times on the road due to plugged filters, I gave up and bought a new tank. Your fuel pump is probably full of rust particles too unless you have a filter between tank and pump. I had to replace the fuel pump too.

Not sure what year your pickup is, but a stock tank for an AD or Task Force is pretty reasonable at $150.

'Bolter
I had all the rust cleaned from mine and relined for my 58 at a radaitor shop about a year and a half ago. Well I started to smell gas in the cab. Took it loose and raised one side and found a pin hole. So I am going to buy a new tank and be done with it. It cost $165.00 to have it relined. A new one cost $144.00 at Classic. You live and learn.

B
'Bolter
I had the exact same issue. My clear filter was turning pink but there wasn't any real crud in it. When I unhooked the line from my tank I barely got a trickle. Finally got it drained and found a couple pounds of red sand in it.

I ended up getting a new Spectra tank from RockAuto for about $150 shipped.
The quotes I got for cleaning and relining the old one were about the same ($125-200) but I've heard a lot of stories about the epoxy lining getting gummy after several years of use so I decided not to chance it ... and for the price, it was a no brainer.

V
Wrench Fetcher
I will second the idea for a new Spectra tank. When I bought my '53 450 based fire truck I had nothing but problems until I just replaced the tank. The new Spectra tank fit perfect.

Here are some pictures of the how the new tank fits:

http://www.centuryfarm.org/gallerie...uck/1953-gmc-450-fire-truck-fuel-system/

B
bozer Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Here's what I did:
Replaced the filter just before the carb.
Disconnected the hard line going in to the pump.
Bought a short piece of hard line with proper ends to screw into the pump.
Bought some clear nylon flex hose which fit the hard line well after applying a bit of heat. It was a tight fit after cooling. I zip tied it for good measure.
I taped the filler hole on a plastic gas can,made a cut,stuck the hose in and used the spout collar to cinch the tape. The hose was curly from being on a small spool, so I doubled a piece of copper elec. wire and put it in the end of the hose to keep it straight and at the bottom of the can.
Got her home, no problem, and was able to watch the fuel leave the can, go out the battery hole towards the pump.

All you can do is all you can do.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop