The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (Goach2, glenns towing, 51 2 Ton, boonie, 3 invisible), 241 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,637
Posts967,011
Members43,723
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Got my gauges
#907203 Sat Dec 29 2012 09:26 PM
E
Shop Shark
Well I got my new gauges but I am going to have to make something to help with the fit. The gauges are 5" but the dash hole is a little bigger. I dont know if they sell something or if I have to try making something for the gap. Ideas?

Re: Got my gauges
Ecratrods #907229 Sat Dec 29 2012 10:01 PM
Boltergeist
I think you got dolphin guages??? Either way will the old bezels not fit onto them as a bushing?? I've never used aftermarket guages so maybe I shouldn't get in this conversation...but hey, I had to ask!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Ecratrods #907252 Sat Dec 29 2012 10:29 PM
E
Shop Shark
There was noting left of them everything inside melted no nothing I was just looking on ebay to see what I could find. And yes you are right I got the dolphin gauges and I apresheate any info you send my way.

Ecratrods #907257 Sat Dec 29 2012 10:50 PM
D
Shop Shark
Jockbolters gauges
Originally Posted by jockbolter50
I finally received my new gauges yesterday.
A fellow 'bolter Danimal did a good tech feature on an install in the later 54/55ADs.
Using his initial idea, I've adapted the method to suit the earlier 47/53s.
Here's a link to my pictures
It's a very much cheaper solution to the billet adapter rings and IMHO looks better too!
My original gauges were in a very poor condition so the sacrifice wasn't so hard !

Thanks again Danimal thumbs_up

Jockbolter50 flicker site.....click......

He did not use dolphin gauges but might be the same size

Ecratrods #907267 Sat Dec 29 2012 11:14 PM
E
Shop Shark
DADS50 thanks for the pic they look great I will have to get a coulple of old bezels and get to work.

Ecratrods #907475 Sun Dec 30 2012 06:54 PM
Boltergeist
E.C. I have a couple old bezels that actually polished up pretty good with some 0000 steel wool.
Shoot me a Pm with you address and I'll get them in the mail tomorrow or early Tuesday morning.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Ecratrods #908130 Wed Jan 02 2013 11:31 AM
S
Shop Shark
I used the stock bezels in my 51 dash when converting to
the AutoMeter 5 inch gauges. Worked pretty good.

Ecratrods #909849 Tue Jan 08 2013 06:07 PM
H
Shop Shark
I did the same thing as Squire. I used the stock bevels to convert my 5" gauges also. That'll work. Looks good that way too.

Unfortunately, I need to pull my brand new Autometer speedometer out again after all that trouble because it doesn't work. It needs to go back to the factory to repair.
My guess is Autometer is beginning to use Chinese electronic components or maybe getting their entire gauges made there.

Ecratrods #910027 Wed Jan 09 2013 10:14 AM
Shop Shark
That's why I swear by Classic Instruments. You pay more for them, but it's the quality you're paying for.

1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Hot Rod Dad #910289 Thu Jan 10 2013 08:38 AM
S
Shop Shark
Gotta give AutoMeter a little plug here..
sorry you're speedo quit .. but,
I have used AutoMeter for lots of projects and one of those was a front engine nostalgia alcohol dragster. (AutoMeter HQ is a few minutes from my house, that's why i started using their stuff!)

After a run at Indy, the $$ memory tach, with a magneto conversion went south. I went into their lobby at lunch time one day and asked if I could drop it off for repair. The gal said wait I'll get a tech.... A nice young fella came out and asked if I could wait a few minutes. Unbelievably he came out with a brand new tach and the expensive magneto set up for me. He said they wanted to bench the one bought in " sorry for any inconvenience"!
No "when did you buy it" or "did you register it?" stuff; just handed me a new piece and his business card if I had any trouble. So, I continue to patronize those guys...

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Dad
I did the same thing as Squire. I used the stock bevels to convert my 5" gauges also. That'll work. Looks good that way too.

Unfortunately, I need to pull my brand new Autometer speedometer out again after all that trouble because it doesn't work. It needs to go back to the factory to repair.
My guess is Autometer is beginning to use Chinese electronic components or maybe getting their entire gauges made there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop