The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
21 members (66rollback, ccanepa50, 51sub, 3B, 3 invisible), 198 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,144
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Starting problem
#90554 Thu Jan 02 2003 05:53 PM
M
mastkey Offline OP
I was out the other day in my 66 p/u at the local home store and when I went start the truck, it would barely turn over, then nothing. I put my foot on the brake and then tried it again and it turned over as if everything was normal. Then I went over a friends house and it started right up ( it was cold) stayed over there for an hour or so and when I went to start it, it acted like the other day at the store. Anyway it is doing this enough to know there is somything loose somewhere. I took off both the bat cables and cleaned and tightened them. Battery is good. It will go from perfectly normal to
no response. The last thing I did was disconnect the ground from the bat to the engine and retighten. I tried it 2 time in a row and it turned over. Before, I would try it once and it would give an attempt, then be dead. The ground cable is currently connected to an intake manifold bolt on the engine. Is this an ok place for the ground? Also I noticed
the cable is smaller then it should be but it is not hot. I plan on replacing all the incorrect items very shortly but would like to have this be reliable again. Anybody have ideas what is loose and causing this intermitent problem?

Re: Starting problem
#90555 Thu Jan 02 2003 09:11 PM
C
Wrench Fetcher
It could be a lack of body ground. You didn't mention it,so I don't know if you have one. There should be a ground from the battery to the engine and to the frame. I once replaced a factory cable that went from battery to body to engine with one that went battery to engine direct. I pretty much the same experience you are having.
Sometimes the electrical system will ground through a accelerator cable/speedo cable/etc. That may explain why it is intermittent. In my case, I caught it in the act as it arc across the motor mount where a junk cable was wrapped. That explained my intermittent start. A new ground to body fixed my problems.

#90556 Thu Jan 02 2003 10:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
A manifold is a lousy place to terminate the ground on the engine block. Just for grins, get a jumper cable next time and run from where you have the ground attached now to a substantial place on the block or something bolted directly to the block with no gaskets between it and the block (alternator/generator bracket). I had this problem with a rice burner I owned where the ground for the engine ran to the intake manifold. There was a small jumper wire (16 gu) between the firewall and the valve cover that smoked and fried one day and starter acted up after that just like you described for several weeks. Moved the ground to a boss right above the motor mount and never had another problem.

#90557 Fri Jan 03 2003 08:26 PM
M
mastkey Offline OP
Thanks guys, Ill try moving the ground to a more appropriate place on the engine and also check if there is an engine to frame strap. I think that may be the problem. Will let you know.

#90558 Sat Jan 04 2003 03:03 AM
J
Shop Shark
I found the the heat from the exhuast had baked the cap in the starter silanoid, which cracked right were the bolt holding the battery cable was, it in turn got loose and the truck would not start at times or turn over slow. other times it was OK. So be sure to check you cable and wires on the starter too.

#90559 Sat Jan 04 2003 04:10 AM
G
Shop Shark
Stupid GM V8 starter solenoid location...for a while, until I became really annoyed and actually fixed the problem, I would have to pour water on my 'Vette's solenoid to cool it off if I wanted to start it up again anytime soon after a drive. I have an aftermarket heat shield that fits over the solenoid, but haven't had a chance to install it.

Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#90560 Sat Jan 04 2003 06:31 AM
J
For the V8's use the new GM mini Hi-torque starters their not cheap but they work and last.

#90561 Sun Jan 05 2003 08:15 AM
G
Shop Shark
After the panel is done, I'm going to build a fuel-injected engine for the 'Vette. It will definately get a mini starter at that time. For now, the original is fine with a new solenoid. The first one lasted 20 years.

Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#90562 Sun Jan 05 2003 07:10 PM
M
New ones are just not as good.
I suggest the high-torque mini-starter,works awesome cool

There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#90563 Mon Jan 06 2003 04:27 PM
S
Mastkey, as several have said it's probably a ground problem. It sounds like you were getting to the problem. Carry a jumper wire. Next time it acts up hook the jumper wire to the engine, move the key to crank, then touch to jumper to a cab ground. When you stepped on the brake it may have grounded the start circut through the brake lights. Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop