The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 registered members (DennisM, 52Carl, Dave Seaver, farmall100, Hugh63c10, C10 - C90 Bill, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,010
Posts912,533
Members42,077
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90525
Sun Feb 10 2002 09:15 PM
Sun Feb 10 2002 09:15 PM
S
staindoutside  Offline OP
mtsterling ,ky
i am having alot of problems with my truck wiring i can't find out were all the wires go.first? what color wire plugs into the backside of the voltage regulator. i plugged my voltage regulator up there is a red wire coming out of the plug that has nowere to go as i could see?the big red wire that comes from the battery was unhooked but it looks like it goes to a little silver box beside the washer fluid tank so i hooked it up at the top screw on the siver box and the other two wires that come from the wireing harness on the fire wall by the master cylinder to the bottom screw on the silver box.
?is this the right place for the +leadwire and the wires from the wireing harness?and also the wire coming from the fire wall on the passside where unhooked so i hooked them up so the truck would turn over but sometimes it just clicks and after a few times turns over.and when i turn my key switch on it doesn't light up but when i turn it of it lights up (GEN)I guess what i'm asking for is some advice on this trouble shooter is just say all the wires were unhooked where do the wires go by color to location.if you can help me i need it i'm getting really agitated with this problem and i have said you peace of sh-- to many times.so if you can email me a copy of wiring digram or if you have a truck like mine tell me were wires go color to location please or if you know were the wires go HELP.P.S. ALSO THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR TO CLICK ON IS HOOK A LEAD + WIRE TO THE WHITE WIRE ON THE ALTINATOR BUT I HAVE TO TAKE MY BATTERY CABLE OFF EVERY TIME I GET OUT OF MY TRUCK OR BANG DEAD BATTERY,I TRIED TO HOOK IT UP TO THE KEY SWITCH WIRE BUT IT ONLY WORKED FOR 30 MIN AND IT JUST DIED, staindoutside@aol.com

Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90526
Sun Feb 10 2002 11:20 PM
Sun Feb 10 2002 11:20 PM
K
kicks  Offline
Oregun
WHOAA,Lay the gun down on the ground,Otherwise you'll regret it later. wink
If i only had a scanner,Maybe this will help a bit. [img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/97/70/31019770LuPOBiFXgt_ph.jpg[/img]

Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90527
Mon Feb 11 2002 08:19 AM
Mon Feb 11 2002 08:19 AM
G
GLPerry  Offline
Shop Shark
Huntington, IN
Wiring diagrams are in most old Shop Manuals which it sounds like you should get. Some in store here on this site or at vendors listed in Links. I'm thinking there is also a link to a site that has the wire diagram for about your year truck. Check the links first. Without the diagram and following the wires around to all the devices, pretty hard to help you over web. I would say a wire from your alt is hooked up wrong and giving you a "draw" on battery. The light on dash for gen makes me think that. There is a wire from key switch to gen or alt to start it charging, maybe that's not there or right. We're just guessing here with out seeing or more info. Libraries have lots of books and manuals if you ever visit them. If it's a reference book you can't take out, you can take copies of it for small fee sometimes. My library has big books of wire diagrams themselves, just don't go older than 78 or so. Maybe if yours is bigger place, they will have more. Lot's of Chilton's and Motor's books there too, I'ld bet. wink

G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750

MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90528
Tue Feb 12 2002 02:28 AM
Tue Feb 12 2002 02:28 AM
K
kicks  Offline
Oregun
Found one! http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/gauges.html
Scroll down for dia grams.

Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90529
Tue Feb 12 2002 03:01 PM
Tue Feb 12 2002 03:01 PM
S
staindoutside  Offline OP
mtsterling ,ky
thanks shark for the site but i couldn't get the engine diagrams to load for me did you try?if you did and they loaded for you copy and paste them for me please and send them to staindoutside1@aol.com

Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90530
Wed Feb 20 2002 05:30 PM
Wed Feb 20 2002 05:30 PM
F
fifthave  Offline
Shop Shark
Clay Center Kansas
The boys are right...get yourself a shop manual and follow the wiring diaghram in it to get yourself back up on the road! You can always run the shop manual diaghram thru the copier on enlargement by 300 percent if you are visually challanged like some of us. Tjat should get you fixed up in style.....THanks Randy. eek eek

Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90531
Thu Feb 21 2002 12:45 AM
Thu Feb 21 2002 12:45 AM
E
eaglewinds  Offline
inmytruck
thanks randy thats what i'm going to do is get me a manual i found one for 5.95 not bad to solve a big wireing problem .thanks you grin all for the help.mark

66 CHEVY SWBSS TRUCK
Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90532
Fri Mar 01 2002 12:22 AM
Fri Mar 01 2002 12:22 AM
V
Vaughn  Offline
Colo. Springs, CO
I sent you a email with some jpegs of the wiring diagrams, hopefully they will help you out.

The silver canister is the horn relay. The power wire is supposed to go to it - it is used as a central power location. Don't worry about it.

The thing you are concerned about is the voltage regulator. Keyed power needs to run to the voltage regulator to turn the alternator on, this normally comes in a brown wire running to the regulator. The white wire is generally used for the generator light. It is quite possible that someone played around with the wires.
Generally speaking, there are two wires that go out of the voltage regulator to the alternator. The two wires coming in to the regulator are for keyed power and the generator light.

Re: need of help on wiring diagram 1966 c10 chevy inline 6 #90533
Mon Apr 15 2002 06:12 AM
Mon Apr 15 2002 06:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 1966 C-10. I will put it like this... With out a wiring diagram, its a lost cause... lol Mine had and still has, Im not done yet, wires connecting to things that dont even run power. On top of that I am having engine troubles, so I am having to hot wire it to work on the engine while I follow the diagram. But, if you get a good diagram, there should be no problems wiring it up. Also, if your truck is like mine, it probily doesnt have too much original wiring. That means that your colors might not be like that on the diagram. As far as connections are concerned, it might be better to use the diagram to see what connects to what, instead of where does this misc. wire go.
Good Luck with you 66'.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop