The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (Eckroll, DennisM, 66flea, Dragsix, 2 invisible), 360 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,524
Posts926,913
Members42,462
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
exploding gas tank #90245 Mon Nov 19 2001 08:30 PM
S
Sparks Offline OP
Will my gas tank explode? I got a replacement gas tank sender for my '51 Chevy 3100. The resistance coil on the replacement is not enclosed inside a case; it is open and is immersed in the gas. Can sparking occur between contacts on the coil and the float arm as it moves to register the gas level? My truck is still 6V, but will it spark more if I convert to 12V? On the original sender, the resistance coil was completely enclosed inside a pot-metal casting. Is the original, enclosed style still available anywhere?

Re: exploding gas tank #90246 Mon Nov 19 2001 09:33 PM
G
gmcfan Offline
Shop Shark
I think that if the thing is immersed in gas, it wont make the gas explode. The thing about gas is, if you throw a match into the tank, it wont explode. ( I know, I have tried it dumb kid stuff) DONT DO IT! usually what explodes is the FUMES from the gas. I have never heard of an open case for the resistor coil, but if it works then leave it be. smile

Re: exploding gas tank #90247 Tue Nov 20 2001 06:51 AM
C
Curly Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Even an empty tank should resist explosion. The mixture is to rich (even empty )for combustion. I used to wonder how they could run those electric fuel pumps inside the tanks and not risk an explosion.

Re: exploding gas tank #90248 Tue Nov 20 2001 04:42 PM
F
fifthave Offline
Shop Shark
A word to the wise...the sender in the gas tank and the dash gauge have to match. For example a 6 volt gas gauge runs on 0-30 ohms while a 12 volt equlivent runs on 30-90 ohms. In other words the sender and the dash gauge must match each other. The best solution when you decide to convert to 12 volts is to use a Runtz on the original 6 volt gauge. A Runtz will allow you to keep the original 6 volt gas gauge and sender. You might also check the new sender you just got to be sure it is compatable with your 6 volt dash gauge. You might end up with one tennis shoe and one cowboy boot...how embarrasing grin grin grin grin

Re: exploding gas tank #90249 Tue Nov 20 2001 05:45 PM
S
Sparks Offline OP
Fifthave, Does that mean that my 6V sender should register 0-30 ohms when cycled from full to empty? Or is it the 6V gauge that registers 0-30 ohms from full to empty? Whats a Runtz (resistor?) anyway? When I was installing my wiring harness, I found this thing (two electrical leads, 1/4" square x 2" long) attached to the back of my gage cluster. Is it a Runtz?

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop