The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (Drew54, greenie-reddy, Ott3r, Maybellene, 2 invisible), 375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,471
Posts926,447
Members42,443
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90113 Mon Nov 05 2001 10:01 PM
F
Frank54 Offline
Shop Shark
"Footpeddlers",

Yeah, the foot starter is practically trouble-free!

It's also fun when you're at the store or the mini-mart and the by-standers get that funny look on their face when your starter's cranking, but both hand are at "10 & 2" on the steering wheel! grin

How many remember the "Starter-ator" that Chevy used back in '36-'37, where they had the starter linkage "piggy-backed" with the accelerator linkage?

Frank McMullen

Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90114 Tue Nov 06 2001 06:34 PM
V
vwnate1 Offline
Shop Shark
I remember it quite well - Buick used in from (?) '47 or so through the mid - 50's . just push the accellerator pedal to the floor and the engine starts - sweet .

Any one here remember Studebaker's " Hill Holder " ? - as long as you were in gear with the clutch pedal on the floor , the car would not roll back .

All these and more were great inventions but stupid drivers made them all obsolete .

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90115 Wed Nov 07 2001 05:41 PM
F
Frank54 Offline
Shop Shark
VWNate,

Stoopid, or just lazy? :p

I think it all began with that durn Chas. F. Kettering and his "self-starter"; it's been down hill ever since!

Now we've got "soccer-moms" who, ten years ago wouldn't drive "their father's Oldsombile" 'because it's too big', and now they're barrel-assin' down the highway @ 80 mph in the Lincoln Navigator, yakking on the cel-phone!! eek
(the soccer moms aren't the only menace; I've got plenty of contempt for other "motorists"!) :mad:

Maybe we should get all the 1-ton & bigger AD trucks we can, and form a "rolling roadblock" and slow 'em all down! grin

What was the question ? :confused:

Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90116 Wed Nov 07 2001 07:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Nate You have to push the clutch on my 37 nash to ingage the starter.(botton under the clutch pedal,real good on thrust bearings for cold start) Subaru still uses the hill holder i believe.

Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90117 Wed Nov 07 2001 09:25 PM
G
gmc248 Offline
Phat, Subaru did away with the "hill holder" after the 1994 model year. I asked the parts dept. at the dealer why and he said they had too many of them come back defective or leaking. I have an '87 Subaru wagon that has the hill holder and it still works fine. No leaks either. You can shim the foreward edge of the valve up or down to get it to actuate on steeper or lower grades. We'll probably never see something like that in an "American" car (not counting the Stude's), it makes too much sense. People are happy with their SUV's with the extra power outlet for the cell phone and dual cup holders for their latte's. Most of them don't know how to drive in the snow....... :rolleyes: eek grin

*** GMC ***
Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90118 Wed Nov 07 2001 10:02 PM
T
Tony Offline
Extreme Gabster
Hill holder? If you don't have the ability to move your right foot from the brake to the gas while engaging the clutch with your left then buy an auto trans SUV with heated cup holders LOL

Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90119 Thu Nov 08 2001 01:21 AM
G
gmc248 Offline
I don't like automatics, slushbuckets are for cars; they don't belong in a real truck. eek
Yes, I can do the pedal dance :p two-speed axle and all grin cool .
Oh, I got the car for free, I don't buy offshore junk :mad: Why waste a good running vehicle? My GMC doesn't get 38 mpg!

*** GMC ***
Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90120 Thu Nov 08 2001 01:51 AM
T
Tony Offline
Extreme Gabster
GMC248, I didn't mean you, just a generalization.I have never owned a vehicle without a clutch pedal. See Lionel's post about his tranny tragedy;

Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90121 Thu Nov 08 2001 01:44 PM
6T2Burb Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Up here in my neck of the woods, every time it snows we see suv's in the ditch's and abandoned because the owners used to drive cars. You know,...... you never see these suv's with off road stratches. These people with their phones and big arse suv's need to go back to driving school. Don't get me started on them,(quiet)the guys in white coats are right outside................... eek :confused: :p

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

1941 Pontiac business coupe
1947 Chev Coupe
1969 GTO ragtop
Re: Foot Pedal Ignition #90122 Thu Nov 08 2001 03:25 PM
V
vwnate1 Offline
Shop Shark
O.K. boys , time to take your meds and chill out ~ NOT ! let's make a new law : PROVE you can drive well or you cannot buy a SUV - fail the test ? sorry you're rusted out s*itbox YUGO is waiting over there eek

Try driving a V.W. bus as I did (still do in fact) - being in front , first to die , makes you THINK when you drive .
Grrr , rant , gnashing of teeth etc.....I think I need some of Profitt's meds.......
Last night some stupid b*tch in her brand new brand "F" SUV nearly took out my beloved Nash Metropolitan as she ran a stop sign yakking on her f**king CELL PHONE NOW I'M **** OFF!! - oops , sorry I gotta go now .

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop