The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (clarsen3100, Alex Arrow, cmayna, 48bigtrucks, bowtietim, Hoff), 287 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,646
Posts919,058
Members42,301
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Horn relay wiring for dual horn's on my 50. #89834 Mon Apr 08 2002 01:01 AM
1/2 ton Dave Offline OP
Well fellow stovebolter's About two year's ago I removed (what I thought) were aftermarket
dual horns on my 50 1/2 Well come to find out their were a factory extra(so Ive been told) The problem is I don't remember which wire went where.There is an horn relay switch.With three terminals. If you hook up the center with 12 v. The terminal to the right is also hot. Is the one on the left the ground for horn botton ?.
Help. 1/2 ton Dave

Been driven and loving my 50 for 27 years. With the same stuff Chevy put in it from the get go.
Re: Horn relay wiring for dual horn's on my 50. #89835 Tue Apr 09 2002 03:45 AM
baldeagle Offline
Server Fixer
A three wire relay has to have a hot wire (12v), and ground and the feed to the horns. So, if you put 12v on the center and right terminal is hot too, then one of those two is ground and the other is hot. The left terminal is the feed to the horns.

Remember, to have a complete circuit, you have to have a hot and a ground. Try this. Put 12v on the center terminal and ground the right one. Then see if the left one has 12v on it. If you get negative 12v on the left terminal, reverse the center and right leads.

Are you sure there's no markings on the relay that might give you a hint as to what goes where?

Unfortunately, my shop manual only has the standard wiring diagram for a single horn. That feed from the ammeter through the horn to the horn button, which went to ground.

Paul Schmehl CI 12
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
1948 Chevy 3100 Five Window
Re: Horn relay wiring for dual horn's on my 50. #89836 Tue Apr 09 2002 06:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
12 Volts on a 1950 Chevy truck?? If you run 12 volts through the 6 V horn relay its fried as in french fry.

Re: Horn relay wiring for dual horn's on my 50. #89837 Wed Apr 10 2002 05:12 AM
1/2 ton Dave Offline OP
Thanks for the tip. I'am ah gunnia give it a whril. If I smell smoke, and what little hair I have left going south. i guess it's back to the drawn board. Again thanks.
O-ya the truck is all 12 volt with a 6 volt reducer to the 6ish stuff. Still running the 216 with dip & splash.But I did have the rods cut for inserts.Plus running a Jimmie cam gear. No more broken fiber.
Again thanks Baldeagle. C-ya

Been driven and loving my 50 for 27 years. With the same stuff Chevy put in it from the get go.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop