The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 registered members (Bill Trotter, 03marauderman, DavidBraley, 52Carl, carryall jerry, Bicounty, 2 invisible), 356 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,553
Posts930,443
Members42,652
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Stovebolter....Again #898044 Tue Nov 20 2012 04:04 PM
H
Huckleberry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
When I was about 30, I found an old truck sitting in the tall grass at a nearby junkyard and fell in love. Looked at it for a couple years every time I was there and finally asked about it. It cost me $150, delivered. A slightly battered 1941 Chevy 1.5 ton Grain Truck, which looked like it had been painted with a broom...assuming the broom to have been several years past its prime. I put a battery in it and some gas and away we went. It became my daily driver (for short drives, anyway) and required very little maintenance. The occasional shorted spark plug, plugged gas filter, a used tire now and then. I had it for a good number of years when a passing motorist saw it parked behind my house and asked if it could be purchased. Seems he had driven a 1941 chevy gasoline delivery truck as a boy for his father's business...he still had the tank. I agreed to sell, realizing I had under priced it when he wrote the check for $100 more than I asked. Oh, well.

Pause for the passage of 20 plus years....

I always missed that truck and regretting selling it, although the smile on the old guy's face when he drove it away was worth a lot. Now another retiree is looking for a replacement and spots one on eBay close enough to home to buy. Thus I became the proud owner of a 1946 46 Chevy in Salvage Yard Chevy 1.5T flatbed (actually, no bed. It was all wood and totally rotted). By the ID it was built in Kansas City. As far as I can tell, the only thing it is missing is one inside door handle. It has a Chelsea PTO and a Sprague??? Steel Products hoist. The brakes have been repaired, the clutch unstuck and several problems with the fuel system overcome (some just temporarily) and a short maiden voyage taken using a 5 gallon bucket for a seat. Ultimately, it will be painted Bud Lite blue and Black but for now, it's just great to have it as it is.
I never heard the term stovebolt in this context or knew I was a fan of an Art Deco style truck until after I bought this truck.
Of course, after I got it home, I found one I could have bought for $1000, 20 miles from home!

Re: Stovebolter....Again [Re: Huckleberry] #898093 Tue Nov 20 2012 07:42 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Huckleberry, welcome to the Stovebolt. I believe you'll make this your home base as many of us have. There is even a "big bolt" forum for guys like you.
Nice story about the trucks. Now, don't let this one get away from you and RUN RUN RUN and buy the other one to. Once this disease bites you there is no known sure cure smile Just more bolts.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Stovebolter....Again [Re: Huckleberry] #898167 Tue Nov 20 2012 11:00 PM
1953 panel Offline
Shop Shark
Hi Huckleberry, welcome. Sounds like you have the same addiction/affliction as the rest of us here. Be sure to hang around, lots more to learn. Good luck with it.

Leo

Re: Stovebolter....Again [Re: Huckleberry] #898639 Thu Nov 22 2012 11:32 PM
R
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark
I love the Art Deco Bolts. Welcome!!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Re: Stovebolter....Again [Re: Huckleberry] #899562 Tue Nov 27 2012 09:23 AM
T
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Howdy Huck...and welcome to The Bolt! --- Nice find there. Looks to be in pretty good shape and will be fun to follow your build. Great people & resources here that will help the process a lot.

1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Winter Update [Re: Huckleberry] #924108 Sat Mar 02 2013 07:53 AM
H
Huckleberry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Well, due to prolonged medical problem and an unheated garage, not much to report. I took some light projects inside for the winter and have a nice new instrument cluster to show for my efforts http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/u...&_suid=13622321268410604999370296199 . And work continues on the bed rebuild. Also playing with a project to replace the non-functional temperature gauge with an electronic replacement using another fuel gauge in the temperature gauge position.

Re: Winter Update [Re: Huckleberry] #924190 Sat Mar 02 2013 01:26 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Thats a really nice job,Huckleberry. Maybe in a few weeks you can get back outside. At least the guage project kept you from getting cabin fever!!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

Re: Winter Update [Re: Huckleberry] #924218 Sat Mar 02 2013 02:52 PM
S
Stranger Offline
Shop Shark
Huckleberry,

Nice Find!!! Looks straight also! Nice job on the gauges! Yes, you will be right at home here with the rest of the BOLT infected
group! Did you at least go peek at the other truck? Ha ha! Enjoy and keep us posted!

Stranger
Frank in Iowa

1955 Second Series Chevrolet Shortbox NAPCO with a Rockwell Transfer Case
"Mater's Cousin"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
Still at it. [Re: Huckleberry] #952093 Sun Jun 23 2013 02:18 PM
H
Huckleberry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hopefully done with chemo and radiation and back to more pleasant things. Bed is framed and ready to mount as soon as hoist frame is ready. But I admit to total bafflement on the issue of securing the bed decking to the frame. There was no evidence on the bed when purchased on how the planking was held in place (mostly because the planking was all missing). So, anyone have a suggestion?

Re: Still at it. [Re: Huckleberry] #952161 Sun Jun 23 2013 09:41 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
huckleberry, glad to hear your finished with Chemo and Radiation. Sure hope, and pray, all goes well from now on.

Since everyone doesn't visit here in the Welcome Centre your question will be best answered in the sub forum for beds. I think its a sub forum of the paint and body..or just below it. You'll find it and also a link to Mar-K.

I will comment that as for the bed placement it may be good for you to check out Mar-k. They have a link here and I think you can see, or get, a pictorial of how the bed goes on.
I had one years ago so I'm not sure anymore....but there are cross sills that go across the chassis for the wood to lay on and "generally" the boards are held down with metal strips that have the square headed bolt hole's that the bolts drop down through between the boards.... that is how I remember it...and basically how my 37 bed is on my pickup.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop