The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (52Carl, 2ManyTrucks, 55 SHAKER, ESum, 69Cuda, 5 Window 9434, 1 invisible), 194 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,150
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What kind of wire to use and where to get it?
#88954 Mon Jul 22 2002 06:35 PM
S
Shop Shark
I have a 55.1 and would like to eliminate the birds nest under the dash and the hood. I realize that I have to match wire sizes, but what type of wire do I use for the hot places and the normal places....How many strand, what covering, and where do I buy it. I can't affort a new harness, and my truck has been "customized" to a small extent by the previous owner. Thanks - Scott

55 1st Chev.
Re: What kind of wire to use and where to get it?
#88955 Mon Jul 22 2002 08:57 PM
J
Shop Shark
Not sure if this will help, but have a look at the following web page(s):

General Wiring Tips

How-To page

The Stovebolt Page, The Electrical Bay.

#88956 Tue Aug 06 2002 01:24 PM
P
Shop Shark
you can get a harness from ezwireing .com for about 195.oo .in te long run it will be money well spent all wires are marked and you will not have to guess witch wire goes where .save your money and go this route

47 Chevy COE..52 TO 30
#88957 Sat Aug 10 2002 07:02 PM
J
my .02 is go the new harness, it'll eliminate a lot of hassel and everything will be new and up to snuff. wouldn't want to loose it to a fire,right? plus think of all the splicing and soldering you won't have to do.

#88958 Thu Aug 15 2002 07:34 PM
S
A good place I have found to buy all wiring supplies is Waytek. A lot of my husband's friends use this company, small minimum requirements and their prices are very reasonable. You can get a free catalog. We get one every year. Request it at www.waytekwire.com and you should get one within 2 weeks I think.

#88959 Fri Aug 16 2002 01:36 AM
D
If you buy wire, may I suggest using tinned? The wire looks silver rather than copper. Each strand has a tin coating. This really helps to cut down on corrosion problems. Digikey (digikey.com) has a great selection of wire and connectors. Their end users tend to be electronic types, but their stuff works just a well or better on automotive applications.
I do agree though, a purchased wiring harness will save a lot of time and grief.
David

#88960 Sat Aug 17 2002 04:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
If you want something that looks close to original and will not dry out and crack, use SRML type wire available from Belden, Carol and a variety of other wire manufacturers.

This wire is has a silicone insulation covered with a braided glass cover. Fine strand coated copper and is flexible too. I have seen it in White, Black and Red. It lays nice and makes great harnesses, although working with the glass braid insulation makes your hands and fingers itch!

SRML

#88961 Tue Aug 20 2002 01:11 AM
J
Bolters:
Sexy is right on, Wytek has a great catalog and selection at reasonable prices especially if you don't have the green to spring for a new harness.

Bubba

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop