The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (clarsen3100, delky, Bill Trotter, D B Cooper, 49nut, DennisH, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,786
Posts942,451
Members43,042
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Zeroing temp gauge to sender
#88851 Thu May 24 2001 06:59 PM
O
oldblue Offline OP
I just installed the temperature sending unit I bought from Chevy Duty. The gauge needle slowly moves over as the engine heats up and goes all the way to the right and stays.
I called Chevy Duty and they said the guy that does their gauges said that you sometimes have to zero the gauge to the sender. Anyone know how to zero the temp gauge?

Re: Zeroing temp gauge to sender
#88852 Thu May 24 2001 07:52 PM
V
Shop Shark
Disconnect the wire at the sender , that should allow the gauge to go cold , if it doesn't you have a short to ground somewhere in the wire between sender and gauge head .

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
#88853 Fri May 25 2001 04:10 AM
Shop Shark
Well, Old Blue, you and I are seem to be going down the same path. Previously I had posted the same problem. Didn't get a great response about the solution. Called Chevy Duty and they said that I had a bad ground at the sensor due to using thread sealant. Took all the sealant off and no change. I inserted a resistor inline with the sending unit back to the gauge (30 ohm) and it solved the problem of going all the way to the right, but it doesn't tel me if the engine overheats that it will read the increased temperature correctly. Measured the temperature of the water at the thermostat with an exterior mounted hose sensor and the temps seem to be correct, but again, who knows when the engine temp gets too hot? The sensor operates with a temperature resistor (thermistor) but I don't know what the ohm rating is. Am still awaiting an informed response to this problem.

Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
#88854 Fri May 25 2001 09:29 AM
T
Extreme Gabster
Sounds to me like you guys are getting the run around from the parts vendor.Must be the wrong sender.I might have one of those senders around here in a 235 engine. I'll get back to you if I do.

#88855 Fri May 25 2001 06:06 PM
O
oldblue Offline OP
49, where can I get on of those resistors you mentioned? What does it look like? I would like to try one.

#88856 Fri May 25 2001 09:03 PM
T
Extreme Gabster
Guys, I took an original AC sender out of a 56 235 car engine I have laying around in the barn. I set my ohm meter on the 2k scale.At room temperature the sender read .710 as measured between the wire terminal and the sender body.I then held the sender tip in boiling water for one minute. The reading was .145 ,still on the 2k ohm scale.If you want to try it in your engine I will mail it out to one of you guys, just as long as I get it back eventually.Its the larger thred style,looks like 1/2 inch pipe thread.
Oh yeah, do Chevys use a voltage stablizer to control the voltage to the guages? Its a small gizmo somewhere on the back of the dash.VWnate probably knows what they are.

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: Tony ]

#88857 Sat May 26 2001 05:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hey Tony,

I think that is called an NTC thermister or Negative Thermal Coefficient. Sounds like room temp is 710 Ohms and 212 degrees is 145 Ohms.

If putting a 30 Ohm resistor in series with the sender keeps it from pegging on hot, sounds like the sender is internally shorted out.

#88858 Tue May 29 2001 10:28 PM
Shop Shark
Old Blue;
You can get any resistor from Radio Shack. However, this is just fooling the actual resistance from the temperature sensor by a set value. Fiddled around with a variety of resistance values and most didn't change the reading significantly until you got a resistor over 100 ohms. Then the meter never rose above empty, Figured that the resistance was too great then. I know that temperature vs resistance varies along a set curve based upon the requirements of the range so I keep thinking that the sensor from the vendor isn't matched to the range of the dash gauge. I do temperature control work for a living and know that there are lots of thermistors (temperature sensitive resistors) in a variety of ranges available. Unfortunately, they don't come in immersion styles for our engines. Think I will experiment with a variety of thermistors which I have in stock and see if any one of them matches my readings from my temperature meter. If I have any luck, I'll let you know. Otherwise, the gauge looks great sitting under 220 degrees and the engine isn't hot so all is well.

#88859 Tue May 29 2001 10:31 PM
Shop Shark
Tony, will do the same test on my sensor this weekend to check the values you recorded. Do you remember what the "room temp" was when you tested yours? Would like to match mine if possible. Maybe the sensors that Old Blue and I got a calibrated in celsius not fahrenheit since they were probably made in """Taiwan"""????

#88860 Tue May 29 2001 11:49 PM
O
oldblue Offline OP
Chevy Duty said the guy that answers their gauge questions said that you sometimes have to zero the gauge to the sender. But he wouldn't elaborate on how to do it. Kind of a secret I guess. If you could zero the gauge to the sender you could use any sender you wanted. I thought maybe there was a screw on the back of the gauge you could use to move the needle back some after reaching operating temp. I didn't see one. Could be the inline resistor thing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop