The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (klhansen, FinnBolt, agedhorse, 1 invisible), 229 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,681
Posts941,454
Members43,024
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Zeroing temp gauge to sender
#88861 Tue May 29 2001 11:52 PM
T
Extreme Gabster
I would say the room temperature was around 65 degrees.I dont think 10 degrees one way or the other should have a big effect on the guage reading. With 700 ohms ,there is a little room for error.The measurements were done on an older digital reasonable quality meter.I would bet that a sender from a much newer GM vehicle might work. GM is noted for parts interchange.

#88862 Tue Jun 05 2001 09:11 PM
V
Shop Shark
Tony - the 6 volt gauges do NOT use the voltage stabilizer , as I recall that came in around the mid 60's . I missed where anyone said what year truck this is all happening on .
I have NEVER needed to zero an electrical gauge other than fuel , this merely involves bending the float arm , since the temp. gauge works off resistance it should work correctly right out of the box if they sell you the right sender .
sorry I took so long to respond but I've been off line for over a week due to DSL being down .

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: vwnate1 ]

-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
#88863 Wed Dec 05 2001 08:08 PM
O
oldblue Offline OP
Well I finally got around to looking at Radio Shack for that resistor. They had 2 types. One is a small glass cylinder, too small I think. The other was long and rectangular, made out of ceramic. There is an uninsulated wire coming out of both ends. Is this the resistor I need? How would I wire it up? Do you just cut the wire between the sender and the gauge and put each wire end to each end of the resistor? I've never connected an insulated wire to an uninsulated wire. I guess just twist together and cover with tape.

#88864 Tue Dec 11 2001 10:13 PM
Shop Shark
Sorry Old Blue, been off line for a while. The resistor to use should look like a "ceramic" fuse with colored lines encircling it. The colors indicate the ohms resistance of the unit. Should be a open wire coming out of each end. Attach one end to your sender connector and the other end to your wire going to the gauge. You can leave them bare to start with just don't let them touch metal as the reisitance will change. Let your truck warm up and see how the gauge reacts. By the way, I just purchased two senders off of Ebay. The senders look just like the one we got from Chevy Duty. Plan on putting the two loose ones out on the radiator overnight and then measure the resistance of each one as well as the unit in the thermostat housing. If the two loose ones measure differently than the one installed in the housing, I'm going to swap it out and check to see if it works more accurately. More on this in about a week.

Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
#88865 Wed Dec 12 2001 10:10 PM
Apprentice
Greeting All,

Interesting post... I too am having the same problem with my "temp gauge" on my 64K10. Truck warms up, needle moves up and then swings all the way to the right. Have installed all new wiring harnesses (and a new temp sending unit from Chevy Duty, hmmmm...). I have also swapped out the gauge and tried again only to have that one "pegged" also. Then pulled the sending unit and removed the teflon tape, no change! I then installed a mechanical sending unit / gauge and it reads about 190 degrees (with 180 dg thermostat)after the truck is throughly warmed up. I checked with the local NAPA store and they are going to order me a new sending unit, cost is about $12. Hope to have it by this weekend, will let you know if it solves the problem.

64K10

64K10
#88866 Sun Dec 16 2001 04:37 AM
Apprentice
To All,

Well I installed a new temperature sending unit today... The gauge needle now sits just to the left of the "Hot" indicator bar. The sender from Chevy Duty always pegs the needle to the extreme right!

The new sender is NAPA / Echlin part #TS6469.

64K10
#88867 Fri Dec 21 2001 01:17 AM
Extreme Gabster
Check your engine and dash grounds guys... the sender grounds through the block, and if the ground is sucky your gauge will never be right.
That's assuming your sender and gauge are ok. Chevy duty may be selling the wrong part.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#88868 Tue Oct 16 2007 03:58 AM
F
Wrench Fetcher
I have the 1945 GMC Ĺ ton with the 302 gmc straight 6. My question is, I think I have the wrong sending unit in my motor. I may have mixed a chevy 235 sending unit with the one that should have been installed. To verify, what should the high and low range ohmís be on the stock 45 GMC temp gage? Any help is appreciated.

#88869 Tue Oct 16 2007 09:53 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
Back in 1945 GMC was using an electrical temperature sending unit???? Wow, that's a new one on me!
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

#88870 Tue Oct 16 2007 11:53 AM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Yup. Technology has not changed that much. Any help on identifying the high and low limit resistance to match my gage?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop