The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (EdPruss, GTOKID, 3B, Jeff Rippin, 52_Ton, Chevy's till I d), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,743
Posts942,060
Members43,035
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
original am radio
#88388 Mon Dec 29 2003 07:57 AM
D
dave b Offline OP
before dropping some dough on a custom autosound unit for my '56 i thought i may see if i can get the original 12 volt radio to work. the p.o. had clipped two of the three wires on the back top left side of the unit. the wire that is still intact goes to the bulb in the bottom on the unit. of the two clipped wires one is both a heavier guage and copper. would one of those wires be powered from the ignition switch and the other a ground? i'm assuming that the inlet hole in the center of the bottom is for the speaker? if so can a mono speaker from radio shack be used; i have an extra one that has a + and - terminal on it. i realize the am selections are somewhat limited but even talk radio would be better than my own singing. thanx, dave b.

Re: original am radio
#88389 Thu Jan 01 2004 12:28 AM
N
Shop Shark
Last summer I had my AM radio from my 59 GMC refreshed and I was amazed at how economical it was. I found a retired radio tech and for $85 CDN he cleaned it up relaced a couple of parts and gave me a new speaker. After seeing used radios sell for next to nothing and restored radios going for big $$$ I am wondering why.

Ask around maybe you can find soneone in your area.

Blaine Dumkee
59 GMC 9314
Fort Smith NT
www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
#88390 Thu Jan 01 2004 12:47 AM
S
Master Gabster
hey Dave- what Blaine sez is so - shouldn't cost much to make it right if ya can find an ol fashion radio tech - here\'s the installation info from the accessory manual - sounds like you understand the wires

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
#88391 Fri Jan 02 2004 07:50 PM
A
You might get lucky, check at the library for the Sam's Photofact, copy of the schematics. Most of the time you will have to replace all of the old paper capactors, most important is the .0068mf 1600V on the output of the transformer on the OZ4. The power lead wire normally goes to a plate mounted on the inside of the case and then to the power switch. the antenna goes to a resessed hole someware in the case.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop