The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (51sub, HandyAndy, Alaska gasser, DennisM, Calkade, 1 invisible), 214 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics118,962
Posts952,224
Members43,297
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Replacing Fuel Sender Unit ??
#880380 Wed Sep 05 2012 11:19 AM
B
Britcon Offline OP
Shop Shark
1940 KC / stock underseat tank. Stewart Warner fuel gauge.
I am getting inaccurate readings on my fuel gauge. I can fill the tank and show only 1/2 full. I'm thinking the sender unit needs replacing. How big a deal is to replace the sender ? One site I was looking at had me removing the tank from the truck, emptying / flushing etc.etc.
Is this job really that dangerous ?

Thanks

Re: Replacing Fuel Sender Unit ??
Britcon #880387 Wed Sep 05 2012 11:38 AM
B
Shop Shark
Not sure about the under seat tanks but removing the actual sending unit from my behind the seat tank was two electrical contacts and a handful of screws and it just lifted out. My tank was almost full. Just be sure to disconnect the battery and discharge any static you might be carrying around.

BLUEMEANIE #880395 Wed Sep 05 2012 12:18 PM
F
Extreme Gabster
you should be able to just pull it out with due care as Eric says, but the problem may be the rating of your sender vs the rating of the modern gauge - original senders are 30 ohms, and the SW gauge may be intended for a 90 ohm sender, check with an ohmmeter when you get it out, replacement may require a universal 90 ohm sender to make it read right, you'd need to find the specs on the gauge

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Flxible #880401 Wed Sep 05 2012 12:56 PM
B
Shop Shark
Also, watch the old cork gasket if you haven't already changed it. They tend to stick and crumble and want to fall into the tank thru the sending unit hole.

BLUEMEANIE #880410 Wed Sep 05 2012 02:06 PM
B
Britcon Offline OP
Shop Shark
OK...sounds like a good winter project.
Thanks for your help guys.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop