The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,970
Posts1,008,598
Members45,105
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: '46 Chevy 2-ton project.
Stovebolt Staff #875741 Sat Aug 18 2012 10:58 AM
D
Shop Shark
Sure. It'd be an honor to be part of the Gallery!

Dieseldude03 #875744 Sat Aug 18 2012 11:16 AM
D
Shop Shark
I started assembling the interior yesterday. Got the new headliner hung (which is a ball by yourself! lol) plus got the dash put back in and started installing the wiring harness. I pre-wired all the electronic gauges, buttons and switches plus ran leaders to the senders, HEI, horn and heater before putting the dash in. Good news is I'm not laying on my back inside that tiny cab doing that. Bad news is I have what seems like miles of wire laying EVERYWHERE. lol. I'll post more pics when I get them taken.

Last edited by Dieseldude03; Sat Aug 18 2012 11:55 AM.
Dieseldude03 #875873 Sun Aug 19 2012 12:11 AM
S
Shop Shark
Thank you, you should have a PM from me with a few more questions. If you would prefer to communicate over email or phone let me know and we can get in touch.

The collective group of dedicated volunteers behind Stovebolt.com
EdPruss #877004 Thu Aug 23 2012 03:39 PM
D
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by EdPruss
I was out of town w/ grandkids for a while, get lots of junk mail, try again.

Hi Ed. I sent you another email this past Saturday. I got a message from your carrier that you were screening your email for junk. I filled out the form for it to go through but have no idea if you got it or not.

Dieseldude03 #877054 Thu Aug 23 2012 07:34 PM
M
Wrench Fetcher
Your truck loks great. It always helps when you have a solid truck to start with. I like the idea of doing it up massey style. Ive got a 51 ford f6. It used to be a rice truck. I pulled the bed installed a gooseneck hitch and brown lipe. I am working on installing a wench at the moment. I use it to haul a JD 4020 and hay mostly. I am partial to john deeres but can appreciate any classic tractor though. I just aquired a 52 1.5 ton and a 58 261. You will really enjoy the look on peoples faces when you drive that big rascal. Also with the OD I can hit 60mph in my ford pretty easy. The point being if the road is pretty smooth dont worry about being able to stop or how it will handle. The brakes are designed to stop 14 to 16000 lbs so youll have no problems stopping and if the front end is in good shape you should have no handling issues

matthewboudreaux #878513 Tue Aug 28 2012 06:31 PM
D
Shop Shark
Well I've been working overtime at the shop so I haven't made a whole lot of progress the last week or so. I DID get the dash and heater installed and most of the in-cab wiring done, other than the turn signals. Today I got the torque converter lock-up controller wired in. I snapped a couple crappy cell phone pictures before throwing the tarp back on for the day. It's coming together!

interior 1

interior 2

Dieseldude03 #879700 Sun Sep 02 2012 12:00 PM
L
Wrench Fetcher
Dieseldude:
I am also working on a '46 6400 that was too big for my garage and has been getting worked on and "talked to" under a tent in the rain of Portland, OR, for a year. I rebuilt a 1959 235 that is about to go in, and the clutch and tranny are all set to join it. Glad to read of your progress. I couldn't download your pics for some reason and I am curious what you did on the dash, and gauges. Mine are not restorable so I am quite curious. Best of luck from a fellow Big Bolter, LevisPop

Milk the cows you have
LevisPop #879781 Sun Sep 02 2012 07:59 PM
D
Shop Shark
I am curious as to why you couldn't view the pics as they are just simple photobucket links. If you wish, I'll email them to you.

Dieseldude03 #879849 Mon Sep 03 2012 07:27 AM
P
'Bolter
If you are trying to look at his pix in the post ... why not just click on the link in his signature line to the whole Photobucket. Then you can see them all.

Peg

The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.
Peggy M #887803 Mon Oct 08 2012 09:47 AM
D
Shop Shark
Hi all. It's been a bit since I last posted but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy! LOL. I'd been beating my head against the wall regarding the brakes on this truck. Namely, getting the original drum brakes to function with a more modern booster/master cylinder set-up. After much trial and error, I finally found a combination that works and works WELL. So much better than the original single-line master cylinder and hydro-vac did (at least while in my possession) and only for a couple-hundred dollar investment.

I also got all the under-dash wiring ran and tucked away nicely. Got the original Super De-Lux heater running with the help of a 6V resistor and the new 12V electric wiper motor courtesy of Jim Carter.

I had one of those crazy things that usually don't happen happen. While running the wiring under the dash I heard and felt quite the BANG come from somewhere toward the rear of the truck. After snooping around, I found the cast-steel "cap" that goes under the rear axle that the U-bolts go through to hold the axle to the springs had decided to shatter, and with enough force to snap off one end of those 5/8" U-bolts! I ended up torching off the rest of the U-bolts and drilling them out of that "cap". I was then able to clean up everything and weld it back together but with it being made out of cast steel, I figured it would likely break again when I tightened up the new U-bolts. I didn't even bother trying. Instead, I made some new "caps" out of 5" x .460" wall steel tubing (i work for the largest steel tubing manufacturer in North America) that I cut in half lengthwise and welded 1/2" plate with the required holes already drilled onto the tube halves. 4 new U-bolts and the rear axle isn't going anywhere until I say so!

After all that, I commandeered a trailer and finally got the truck over to my buddy Roy for the bodywork and paint! While he has it, I'll blast and paint the flat bed and give it's boards a good sanding and some varnish. I'll post some new pictures in a couple days.

It's getting close!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop