The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (80_Grit, 1 invisible), 325 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,543
Posts927,101
Members42,470
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chevy Duty Headlight Switch Wiring #87460 Sun Dec 09 2001 05:08 AM
B
buckaroo01 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I'm replacing an old headlight switch in my 1953 GMC with one I got from Chevy Duty. The problem is that they didn't provide a wiring diagram and the terminals are not marked. Does anyone have any idea on the right way to wire it? :confused:

Re: Chevy Duty Headlight Switch Wiring #87461 Sun Dec 09 2001 07:23 AM
M
Mechainiac Offline
One wire at a time!

Or look at a shop manual.
May be able to find a diagram at the library or someone here may be able to send you the wiring diagram.

There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Re: Chevy Duty Headlight Switch Wiring #87462 Sun Dec 09 2001 07:12 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
buckeroo,

One wire at a time; or, call Chevy Duty. Many aftermarket light switches are wired differently from the original (in fact, Chevy Duty states that theirs "will work with minor modifications to wiring."

Call Chevy Duty (I had the same problem with one of their ignition switches) to find out the correct designations for each terminal. However, if the terminals on the new switch look like those on the old switch, check out the crude drawing below (for a Chevy truck).

Good luck, Tim

[img]http://home.nycap.rr.com/lederman/images/lightswitch.jpg[/img]

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Chevy Duty Headlight Switch Wiring #87463 Mon Dec 10 2001 07:02 PM
F
Fred T Offline
Shop Shark
The aftermarket switches are wired differently. I made a diagram like the one Tim has, then sat down with an ohmmeter and found the corresponding terminal on the new switch. If you don't have an ohmmeter connect the power and do the old hit and miss method, doing it one wire at a time,until you have them all right.

Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop