The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (66rollback, Drew54, ccanepa50, DennisM, DougH6100, 1 invisible), 205 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,144
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Radio
#86932 Fri Oct 22 2004 10:12 PM
Master Gabster
I must add to my previous comments about cleaning. On the AD radio, I discovered that alchohol actually melts the front bezel. So I wouldn't touch that nice frony plastic with it.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86933 Sat Oct 23 2004 04:11 AM
S
Shop Shark
Originally posted by 46forme:
That's a pretty cool radio. Where are you going to mount it?
It's not as big as the photos make it look. From what I understand in the rare instances where these were in these trucks they were mounted below the headlight switch. This is also where I was planning to mounti my fog, hear and def switches. Those will now go on the other side of the sttering wheel.

I'm still debating in my own head if I should even wpend the time to try to get it to work or just use the caseing and front to house a modern radio.

Tim Sheridan
1946 First Series Gallery page - "Liberty Series" "Art Deco" whatever you'd like to call it.

www.46chevytruck.com - My web page ...n and restoration of 1941-1946 GM trucks

46chevytruck.com - Facebook 46chevytruck.com

AKA Stovebolter TSheridan
#86934 Sat Oct 23 2004 04:44 PM
A
There is only about $6 of capactors in the radio that need replacing and can be replace in about an hour or so with a soldering gun. I find the tube radio as well has a different sound than the modern transistor radios of toda, much softer, and i seem to get more radio stations. The only problem is having the tubs checked, but checking around you should be able to find a TV shop that still has a tester, just make up a diagram of the tube locations (may already be one on the inside of the back cover) and check to make sure that there is still a readable number on the tube.

#86935 Fri Nov 12 2004 06:21 AM
J
Wrench Fetcher
If you do decide to go the restoration route and find that you need a replacement tube or two, let me know. Along with my goofy old truck hobby, I have a goofy old tube amplifier hobby. Who knows, you might be able to get replacements locally, but I've got several crates of old tubes in the basement that I'd be happy to dig through for you.

Honda DOHC V-6 is to a Stovebolt
as a
Media-card MP3 player is to a Tube stereo

They both get the job done, but so much of the soul gets lost along the way.

Analog forever!

'52 3800 Panel
School bus conversion... Glass all around. (check the gallery!)

outside of a dog, a book is a man's best freind.
inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx
#86936 Sat Nov 13 2004 06:04 PM
S
Shop Shark
If anybody is interested in one of these radios I've seen three of them on e-bay in the last three days. None of them are mine by the way.

Item number: 4503960666

Item number: 4504067089

Item number: 4504066505

When it rains it pours...........

Tim Sheridan
1946 First Series Gallery page - "Liberty Series" "Art Deco" whatever you'd like to call it.

www.46chevytruck.com - My web page ...n and restoration of 1941-1946 GM trucks

46chevytruck.com - Facebook 46chevytruck.com

AKA Stovebolter TSheridan
#86937 Sat Nov 13 2004 08:34 PM
W
Master Gabster
tim, i just got my custom classic truck magazine and in there they in stalled all the switches inside the glove box in a 41 willys truck to clean up the dash looks slick. i have also seen the radio installed there. the truck won top 8 at the ridler show in chicago. i would bet it cost over 200,000 to do professionaly it took 6 1/2 years to do. ron

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
#86938 Thu Nov 18 2004 01:06 AM
Extreme Gabster
I plan to build a custom fiberglass glovebox and mount a modern DIN radio in it. I just picked up a new Kenwood unit for my BMW that plays CD's as well as MP-3 and WMA files burned on a CD-Rom, so you can stuff several hours of music in there. It cost less than $160. I love it, it makes 50W/ channel and sounds great. The unit has a full function remote control so you could control it with the glovebox shut if you provided a pathway for the IR sensor to run the remote. An alternate location would be under the seat or behind the dash on some sort of power up/down motorized mount so you could make it dissapear.

I plan to mount a pair of Blaupunkt 6" speakers in the front part of the headliner and a pair firing up from behind the seat. A small sub under the seat would create a pretty nice system. Just use dynamat to control the noise.

I don't mind things showing in the interior as long as metal wasn't sacrificed to do it.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#86939 Fri Nov 19 2004 03:36 PM
W
Master Gabster
i just found a place to convert the radio without changing the look. go to s&m electro tech.com. they list prices and pictures of the finished product. not cheap. hope this helps. ron

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
#86940 Sun Nov 21 2004 04:55 AM
B
That is awesome.I would see if it worked before I gutted it,obviously it would be worth a lot more in working order,and the truck would be worth more with an original working radio.

You can mount a nice stereo under the dash and out of sight

49 Chevy 3600
67 GMC 3/4 ton
71 GMC 1/2,daily driver
http://www.sofnet.com/~eaglefeather/

When I die I want to die in my sleep,not screaming in terror like his passengers
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop