The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (WE b OLD), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,972
Posts969,792
Members43,809
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Radio
#86922 Wed Oct 20 2004 01:19 AM
S
Shop Shark
I just bought an original option radio for my '46. Obviously it is only AM and I am putting it in there only for looks. Here's my thought, tell me what you think. The radio it self appears it may be in good enough condition that it may actually work with a good cleaning. This would be option 1 but I have no idea how to go about cleaning it without causing damage and would likely never listen to it when driving. My other thought is to gut it with the exception of the front portion so looking at it it appears to be a stock radio. Then purchase a small/modern radio or even an XM radio (for the 50's & 60's channel) that has a wireless remote control and mount the unit inside the casing in the space the old radio parts once took up. It would even leave room to mount a modern single speaker in it. To access the radio the casing comes apart rather easily. I also thought about possibly making the front of the old radio hinged to "open up" revealing the new/modern radio. What do you think? Has anybody done this or seen it. I've seen radios hidding in the glove boxes but I don't like the idea of loosing the glove box. I really don't like the idea of mounting a modern radio under the dash for what I plan to keep looking as original as possible to the average non-stovebolt member.

I posted photos in my "details" photo album below if you want to see what radio I am talking about.

Tim Sheridan
1946 First Series Gallery page - "Liberty Series" "Art Deco" whatever you'd like to call it.

www.46chevytruck.com - My web page ...n and restoration of 1941-1946 GM trucks

46chevytruck.com - Facebook 46chevytruck.com

AKA Stovebolter TSheridan
Re: Radio
#86923 Wed Oct 20 2004 02:02 AM
Master Gabster
What does a 1946 radio look like? Is it a one piece radio?

I use wood alchohol and brushes and swabs to clean radios inside. I have an AD radio that I am restoring and it was filthy when I got it. It had been sitting in dirt with no back cover. It works quite well now and other than a missing back, which I have to fabricate, it is pretty well 100%.

There are people that will convert your radio to a new AM/FM while still using the original front. I really don't agree with that but the service is available.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86924 Wed Oct 20 2004 02:04 AM
S
Shop Shark
I updated my photo album and added photos to the "details" photo album.

Tim

Tim Sheridan
1946 First Series Gallery page - "Liberty Series" "Art Deco" whatever you'd like to call it.

#86925 Wed Oct 20 2004 02:32 AM
Master Gabster
Tim,
wow, what a great collection of photos. I will have to take more time to look at them all!

That radio looks like a good candidate for a restore. The front of it is amazing. If you want help testing it, send me an Email.

Fred

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86926 Wed Oct 20 2004 04:20 AM
A
You can pick up a spray electronics cleaner that will clean any dirt within as well as clean the contacts. the back cover and the front can be removed very easy. the outside case can also be removed and wire brushed/ sanded if a little rough and painted silver and black where the speaker is. More than likely you will find that the paper capactors have since dried out and need replacing to get the radio back into operation. Make sure when you try to fire it up that you have it fused, quite often the capactor mounted on the bottom of the 0Z4 tube will short out once it warms up, this is a 1600 volt cap around .0068mf and a must replace before you try installing a new viberator, the solid state viberators do not like this one going bad..

#86927 Wed Oct 20 2004 07:06 AM
Shop Shark
If your only going to use it for looks then why
even care about the inside? Just just clean the
outside using whatever it takes including some
fine sandpaper and then use the proper rattle
can of paint.

#86928 Thu Oct 21 2004 12:22 AM
S
Shop Shark
I'm still debating the different options. I'm thinking I will try to clean it up and if I ruin it then I will go to option 2 and try putting a modern radio in it. I don't know much about electronics so I'll be learning as I go. I've got the basic wiring concepts down but transisters, resisters, etc....??? :confused:

Tim Sheridan

#86929 Thu Oct 21 2004 05:45 AM
G
Shop Shark
If you want to learn about electronics Radio Shack has some good introductory books.

Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#86930 Thu Oct 21 2004 10:56 PM
W
Shop Shark
I have an original radio and there is NO WAY I'm wasting time and resource to actually make it work. It's there for looks only.

Here is what I'm doing:
- install modern radio in glovebox (65$CDN)
- hook to voltage booster (6v>12v) (85$ CDN)
- download music on the ipod (350$CDN)
- connect ipod to tiny FM transmitter (45$CDN)
- pick up transmitter signal on the radio

Voila!

1953 Chevrolet 1300 - Daily driver
Collecting Vintage Whizzer motorbikes
http://www.whizzerick.com
#86931 Fri Oct 22 2004 04:42 PM
Shop Shark
That's a pretty cool radio. Where are you going to mount it? It looks pretty big and will take up alot of room. Does it hang under the dash or do you have to cut the dash to fit it in some where. Just curious there doesn't seem to be a lot of room under my dash.

I would use it for show only. Get a remote control radio put it behind/under the seat and you will be set. I'm using a Secret Audio radio in my 46. The control unit is going in the blank wiper plate on the passenger side and the rest is going behind the seat. The control unit is only 1.5" high and 4" wide so not much will be showing. Just some food for thought.

George

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop