The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (59 fleet, Jon G, Denny Graham, drdoug, Goach2, 2 invisible), 265 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,082
Posts961,740
Members43,550
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brake cylinder inlets facing foward?
#8655 Thu Nov 20 2003 05:31 AM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
Why do the inlets of '53 brake wheel cylinders face foward if the brake lines end couplings are actually behind the axle ? To me, one would almost want to switch the left from the right so that the inlets face towards the rear of the truck pointing more towards the brake line end couplings.

Maybe I'm reading things wrong. If the box say front left wheel cylinder, this is driver's side yes?

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: brake cylinder inlets facing foward?
#8656 Thu Nov 20 2003 05:36 AM
yes its as you are sitting in your truck left and right

#8657 Thu Nov 20 2003 07:23 AM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
Sorry,
Front brakes.

My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#8658 Thu Nov 20 2003 07:53 AM
D
Shop Shark
I'm guessing you have the brakes apart just now .
Try fitting the wheel cyls up on the wrong sides , and the flexible hoses (no fluid) then go full steering lock each way and see what contortions the hose goes thru , then look at the way it works when fitted up correctly .
Let us know what you find . smile

#8659 Thu Nov 20 2003 01:35 PM
I have seen those front wheel cylinders installed both ways, some with the hose facing front, others with the hose facing rear.

However, there is more than one picture in the GMC service manual that shows the passenger side ( right side ) with the hose facing to the rear.. That is the way I installed mine when I replaced the cylinders..

Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
#8660 Thu Nov 20 2003 01:51 PM
R
rat Offline
I also have a '53 and when I replaced my wheel cylinders the inlets faced back, which seems normal to me. Thats the direction they faced when I took them off.

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#8661 Thu Nov 20 2003 04:18 PM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
Just a reminder, I am putting a '53 front assembly on my '50. The wheel cylinder inlets on the '50 face straight towards the engine.

When I got the '53 front assembly I noted that both cylinders faced towards the front so I could assume that the ends of the brake lines on a '53+ are located near or in front of the axle ?

Since the ends of my brake lines are behind, shouldn't I just swap the cylinders (put left on right side, etc) so they are somewhat facing their respected lines?

Yes Dusty, I will look into switching them. The only difficult issue is that this '53 assembly is on my workshop table, not under my truck, but I will still have a good idea if this will work.

My truck
#8662 Thu Nov 20 2003 05:14 PM
A
You may find the casting numbers on the wheel cylinders may be the same, just drilled different, take a look as to where the body end of the flex hose is mounted, if it's at the back then the bleed screw goes toward the front

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop