The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (FinnBolt, 2ManyTrucks), 228 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,060
Posts961,569
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
AD Radio Substitute
#86533 Mon Sep 09 2002 12:13 AM
Master Gabster
I have been looking for the period radio for my 51 GMC. It turns out that they are fairly rare, and the ones that are available cost a bundle.

On Friday, I picked up a 1953 Olds radio which is physically very similar except that the controls are spaced at 6 1/2 instead of 7 1/2 inches. However, because of the way that the Olds radio was designed, it is possible to relocate the controls to fit perfectly into the dash opening for the AD truck. It turns out that my "new" radio works and I had forgotten what a great sound these old radios produced!

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: AD Radio Substitute
#86534 Mon Sep 09 2002 01:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Its great to search the AM side of the radio band.
No problem finding oldies stations. When conditions are right [ during " skip " phases ] you can pull in AM stations from thousands of miles away !!!!

#86535 Mon Sep 09 2002 09:28 PM
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
MT, I like the AM band also.I search the dial and usually can find some 40's big band music or a talk show.Tony can't stand AM, he calls it "Amplified Manure".

#86536 Mon Sep 09 2002 11:43 PM
Master Gabster
I am an AM fan too. When I was getting this radio to work the other day, I tuned into a local station that plays 40s and 50s music all day long. I thought how appropriate. With all the modern electronics these days, I don't think anything beats the sound that booms from an old 50s radio in one of the old cars.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

#86537 Mon Sep 09 2002 11:55 PM
M
Joy,,, some people do not know how to enjoy ALL the finer things in life grin
Tony does like old trucks and he is still with you so he can`t be all that bad :p grin
Have you heard of Al or Patty Hendrickson?

There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#86538 Tue Sep 10 2002 12:54 PM
R
rat Offline
I guess I'm going to have to get a radio, I can't stand my own singing any more. Do you think thats why nobody will ride with me? :confused:

'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#86539 Tue Sep 10 2002 02:49 PM
W
Shop Shark
Trucknix,

I have a '47 Olds radio which is also a pretty close match for knobs and speaker but the face is wrong. I would need to hack up the dash board so I didn't use it.

Radio Bill on another web page gave me some advice. If you use an old radio without having it checked over and parts replaced, use the minimum amperage fuse which will keep it going. There's still a chance that it will catch on fire!

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

28 Years of Daily Driving. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
#86540 Tue Sep 10 2002 04:52 PM
Master Gabster
Wally,
the fuse idea is a good one. There is quite a variety of living things that sometimes nest in these radios as they wait for a new owner. My Olds radio has a face which is on a different angle than the chassis. Because of this, they used a flexible drive on the tuner and this will allow me to relocate the tuner control 1/2 inch to the right. Relocating the volume/tone control is simple.

1951 1 Ton Completed

#86541 Wed Sep 11 2002 03:44 AM
Z
yall know yall want that fm converter i got in my attic.

#86542 Wed Sep 11 2002 12:41 PM
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
No,I haven't heard of them (Al or Patty Hendrickson). I listen to AM740 out of Canada. When it was real hot yesterday they said it was a record 34 degrees.... LOL I guess thats hot. around 97? Love the simple, slow,fun they have. No shockjocks here. Tony can have his Brother Wease and the Nerve! eek In my trucks Am is all ready to go. To answer the question, isn't there cool radios forsale in Hemmings,even JC Whitney, brand new that will fit in AD trucks?I might get one of those some day. I must admit I have a modern radio hooked up under the dash. Then I can listen to The Shadow and old Amos and Andys when we are on a trip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop