We’ll It’s been about 2 months since I bought my truck and yesterday, I tried to start it yesterday or the first time in 20 years…

Before I went to the truck I stopped at a chain the local advance auto and picked up some oil and rags, etc. turns out they had an oil filter sitting in the shelf for $13 so that was a nice surprise!

Dumped out the oil… there were a couple chunks at first but it cleared up quickly and drained smooth. Oil appeared to be dirty but in OK health and there was no water or other contamination I saw… dropped in the oil filter- that was uneventful besides the bolt took a pretty good amount of force to break loose..

Pulled the plugs and they had some black carbon deposits but otherwise seemed in good shape and functional.

I sprayed some WD-40 in each cylinder. Figured I’d leave it sit for a bit and then turn it over with the plugs out to blow any junk out. By the way I was happy to find oil still in the air filter as I figure this probably did a good job limiting contaminants getting in the intake…

I brought a 12 volt battery with me and figured I’d just snip the wires to anything that couldn’t take 12 volts. Looked at the wiring and decided I’d change plans… how can there be so many wires and suck a rat’s net for a truck with so few devices in it!

I decided to run to my in-laws and grab a rolling engine jumper that I knew to have a 6 volt setting. Figured I could use that temporarily just to turn the engine over.
At this point I hooked up the jumper to the battery leads and let her rip… Actually I turned on the machine before I changed the setting so I hope I didn’t damage anything but the key was off so I doubt it…

So I reached under the hood and hit the button! Zoom! Starter spins and clicks against the flywheel teeth and nothing…… sounds like the bendix isn’t engaging… I tried this a few times and then thought maybe the 100 A of the jumper isn’t enough,… so I hook strait to the starter at 6 v… no change. I bump it up to 12 V 200 A and say why not… I figured if I’m hooked direct then hopefully I won’t hurt anything else... Can’t remember if the key was turned at this point so my fingers are crossed…

Once again the starter spun up nice bot NOTHING. Decided it was time to call it a day and go home figuring I had to pull the starter…at this point I turned to trusty STOVEBOLT and of course realized that the starter seemed to be missing something from what I’m used to… that extra little cylinder on the side some of us call solenoids…. We’ll I learned that you can’t just push the button because it’s the mechanism in the floor button that engages the bendix gear before the starter kicks on….

So now I’m VERY excited to return and have a renewed hope that my engine might come to life…
Heck, “It ran when I parked it!”

Proud owner of a 1954 Chevy 3800 smile
www.my54chevy.blogspot.com [my54chevy.blogspot.com]