The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 registered members (55 SHAKER, 59shortfleet, artinva, 5ptstar, 52Carl, 49 3100), 181 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,499
Posts930,016
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Sheridan] #810352 Mon Dec 26 2011 03:22 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks for the encouragement. Still a long ways to go and a lot to overcome but the folks here are inspiring. Onward!

1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango] #859458 Sat Jun 16 2012 12:17 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Howdy All --- been away for awhile (computer croaked) but just added a few more pix to the "progress" album. About ready to begin the engine & tranny transplant, which is gonna' be interesting. Trying to stuff a Cummins 4BTAA & Allison 6-speed auto into that Art Deco front end is going to be a challenge. In fact, if I can find a good custom builder in these parts, I will gladly pay for some expertise.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango] #859486 Sat Jun 16 2012 03:28 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Tango, you've definitely come a long way. I don't think an engine problem will stop you know. I'm sure you will go from "can't to Can" !!
I have a friend that was told he couldn't put a mercede's disel in a 71 model truck. Well, he did. He chopped and cut and welded and in a few days he drove it around the block!

....this is interesting. Keep us posted.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Achipmunk] #860929 Thu Jun 21 2012 04:31 PM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Dangnabbit! I had a zero-mile, 2012 Allison 2200HS 6-speed auto lined up and a different salesman at the dealership sold it out from under me! Oh well, the Allison tech I'm, working said he found one with 100 miles on it. We'll see if this one makes it home. I really need to get started on the engine & tranny install.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango] #877346 Fri Aug 24 2012 07:06 PM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Just gave away the good running 350 Chevy today to make room for the Cummins 4BT. Gave it to a friend who runs the Art Car Museum here in exchange for some labor & installation assistance. The rebuilt diesel is ready for pickup. Still waiting to hear the price on a new Allison, double overdrive, six-speed tranny. Got a feeling it's gonna be scary. Will try and post some updated pix this weekend.

Meanwhile, for anyone not familiar with the Art Car thing here in Houston...

Art Car Museum http://www.artcarmuseum.com/

Ar Car Parade http://www.thehoustonartcarparade.com/photos/

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango] #878377 Tue Aug 28 2012 10:19 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
New and slightly narrower intercooler arrived yesterday. Working out the piping is going to be interesting. Needs to be routed through the inner grill panels, into the wheel wells, then back into the engine compartment via the inner fender panels. Biggest concern is engine movement. These little Cummins "Paintshakers" are notorious for thrashing side to side on start-up & shutdown by several inches and can pull any fixed electrical, fuel or air lines loose as they do it. Even considering mounting a couple of shock absorbers to the motor to limit the movement. We'll see. The Chevy comes out this weekend...and then the fun begins.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango] #878945 Thu Aug 30 2012 01:40 AM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Well Crap --- the new intercooler is actually wider than the stock set up. The angles are all wrong and won't work. Now to deal wit the dreaded "return" and get the right sized unit.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango] #879543 Sat Sep 01 2012 05:24 PM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
OK --- the 350 Chevy is out of the way. I just hope the hole that's left is big enough for the Cummins. Gonna' be tight, especially with the Allison six speed hanging off the back. BTW...I gave up on finding a used one and called Stewart & Stevenson to price a new one from the factory built to my specs. Guess what...the new one should actually be cheaper in the long run. By the time I bought a used (unknown) unit, had it gone through and set up to work with my two-wire motor, it would very likely have been at least a grand more! And the brand new unit will come fully tweaked from the factory set up exactly for my rig. S & S uses a computer modeling system called "iSCAAN" that analyzes tons of input (weight, drag coefficient, gearing, tire size, various road surfaces & on & on) then spits out a 17 page print out that predicts performance across the board. Even the fluid temperature at various RPM's in different gears. Best part is that my original personal calcs had indicated a need for something around 4.11 gears in the rear. Turns out my stock 5.43 gearing is perfect with the double overdrive so I won't have the ha$$le of swapping the whole rearend! Outstanding!

It will take a month to build but I still have a lot to do before I drop it in. Will get a few updated pix tomorrow.

Oh yeah...and if anyone is looking for a nice, tight original 4-speed tranny, I will be putting a note about it over in the classifieds shortly.

Onward!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango] #883059 Sun Sep 16 2012 04:37 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Don,

If you want to pitch your rolling classroom near the DC area, let us know. We are 90 minutes south ... but have family closer up. Plenty of Bolters in the Washington - Baltimore - Annapolis area.

The work you do looks awesome ... both the art and the truck! You head this way with the bus, we'll bring the gang!

Peggy M
Stovebolt HQ

Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Peggy M] #883473 Tue Sep 18 2012 12:06 PM
T
Tango Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks for the invite & kind words Peggy --- can't wait to get this old girl rollin' and covering ground. I teach one of my classes near Nashville and I'm talking to some folks right now about starting up another in the Catskills. You'd be right on the route and I'd love to drop in and say Howdy.

And many thanks for all the hard work that makes this such a great forum & gathering place. It has been a terrific source of both inspiration and hard to find information. Just outstanding. Can't imagine what rebuilding this rig would be like without it and the many fine folks who gather here. Thank you.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop