The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (49 3100, Sedgewick, bztguy, DanCoyro, Shakey61, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,548
Posts927,143
Members42,470
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BillyBob Update; Main Wiring Harness #85303 Sun Nov 25 2001 04:10 PM
L
LAROKE Offline OP
Shop Shark
I know, five months without a BillyBob update and now two within a week of each other. I alloted four days to rewire the truck but things went so well, I was finished in two days. I spent the other two days to document the process (including wiring diagrams in Adobe Acrobat PDF format) and here it is:

Nervous breakdown: It's Alive!

Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
1991 Jeep Wrangler (Renegade)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: webmaster@laroke.com

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Re: BillyBob Update; Main Wiring Harness #85304 Sun Nov 25 2001 05:42 PM
53 4 me Offline
Looks like BillyBob will be ready for a cross country cruise soon enough.. Good Work Larry..

Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
Re: BillyBob Update; Main Wiring Harness #85305 Sun Nov 25 2001 06:24 PM
S
solowookie Offline
I haven't been around when some of your other write up came out, but I'm sure I'll be using this information when I get to the point that I am doing these projects on my truck! great write ups, and thanks for the info!

(I didn't see these, or links to these on the main page, and I'm wondering why not???)

May the force be with you - SoloWookie
solowookie.com
Re: BillyBob Update; Main Wiring Harness #85306 Mon Nov 26 2001 08:17 PM
S
snappy-dog Offline
So Larry...
(and great job as usual, by the way)
I guess the question that has me stumped is, why the voltage regulator?
The only reason I switched from a generator in the first place was to lose the problems associated with mechanical regulators. I'm now using an internally regulated alternator (Delco 10SI).
Not trying to be critical, just curious.

Nice diagram!
I built my wiring diagram in Illustrator with a seperate layer for each circuit. That makes it easy to isolate a circuit and update the diagram as I make occassional changes. I keep a dated printout in the glovebox which has come in handy on more than one rainy night (when electrical problems most often occur), though my moisture related wiring problems pretty much cleared up when I started using dielectric grease and conductive paste.

Keep up the good work.

Barrett Revis
'53 3105
'48 3105
The fewer the moving parts, the less there is to go wrong...
Re: BillyBob Update; Main Wiring Harness #85307 Mon Nov 26 2001 09:07 PM
L
LAROKE Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanx Bill.

Solo, If what you're referring to as the main page is www.laroke.com/index.html then that's my "commercial" site for my computer consulting (I've been havin' so much fun with BillyBob that I haven't updated that portion of the site in a long time). Anyway, it has a link called "Personnel" which leads to my personal home page which in turn has a BillyBob's Garage link.

Snappy, It's sorta "run wot ya brung". A previous owner (before JR) did the first 12 volt re-wiring and s/he put in an older alternator that did not have the integral voltage regulator. I didn't choose the alternator/regulator layout, I already had it. Somewhere down the road, I may replace the current alternator/regulator setup with a newer one-wire alternator and that's why I kept the wire with the molded plug that I cut off the new harness. About the diagram - This being an architectural firm I work at, I used AutoCAD to produce it (I had to use stealth 'cause if my boss catches me, he'll want me to start drawing buildings again instead of working on computers.) I used layer control like you did. In CAD we're taught to draw things full size and only use scaling for printouts. The real size of the drawing is 8' by 20'. The wires in the harness were originally drawn 1/32" apart. When I tried to publish to Adobe Acrobat, I found the largest paper dimension allowed was 45" at 600 dpi resolution. This caused the lines to overlap. I had to go back and move the lines to a minimum of 1/8" apart to eliminate the overlaps. The biggest adobe PDF diagrams are on a custom paper size of 22" x 44". This has caused some people printing problems for some of my visitors. The best I can offer for those who want to print is play with your printer settings (like scale to fit page if your printer supports it) and go for coffee when you hit the print button - even on a powerful production machine here at the office with lots of memory it takes a minute to do the scaling operations and send the results to the printer.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: LAROKE ]

Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
1991 Jeep Wrangler (Renegade)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: webmaster@laroke.com

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Re: BillyBob Update; Main Wiring Harness #85308 Tue Nov 27 2001 02:50 AM
S
solowookie Offline
it was actually your personal site I was looking at, but know I'm gonna have to look around the other one! grin grin

May the force be with you - SoloWookie
solowookie.com

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop