The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 registered members (coilover, 5 Window 9434, beltfed, aduncan, 2 invisible), 334 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,133
Posts923,464
Members42,352
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rear end choices #8504 Fri Sep 03 2004 10:18 AM
K
Keahi Offline OP
New Guy
I've been closely following all the threads about rear end swaps since I've reached that point in my project as well. I finally got the bed off of my '52 1/2 ton to do some work and I'm ready to pull out the old torque tube rear end. I carefully measured the width of the rear and found it to be 62" from wheel mounting surface (WMS) to wheel mounting surface.

You can see more about the project here .

I've got two possible donor rears sitting on the side of the house. So here's the question: Which of the following two rear ends would you put in?

Option 1 is a **** 9", 3.25 ratio out of an early 70's car. It's 65" wide, complete, and has huge drum brakes on it but was originally set up for coil springs and needs some repair.

Option 2 is a 3.08 10 bolt out of a '69 camaro. Overall it's 60" wide WMS to WMS. The spring perches on it look like they may straddle the factory leaf springs well but I would have to round up all the brake parts.

My main concern is the width: Looking at the current setup it seems like if I go with the 60" (camaro) rear I could use spacers or run some wide offet rims to make up the difference but I think I might have to relocate the shock mounts. On the other hand, would the **** 9" need negative offset rims to fit in the fenders?

The right answer, of course, is to find a rear the right width but the budget of this project is pretty low right now. I'm keeping my eye out for another axle but both of the ones I have now were given to me for free.

I'm planning on using this truck as a daily driver for home projects, work transportation, and hauling motorcycles. It'll have a 235 and SM 420 for now; maybe a 350/350 in the future. Oh, and I still have the original front suspension so I know that the bolt pattern of both of these choices won't match the front, but that's OK by me.

So what else should I be thinking about? I'd love to hear everyone's input.

Thanks!

Re: Rear end choices #8505 Fri Sep 03 2004 06:36 PM
Cletis Offline
Extreme Gabster
You should think about those gear ratios being too high for your tranny.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Re: Rear end choices #8506 Fri Sep 03 2004 08:16 PM
Z
Zeker6 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
I went with a 79 Camaro rear, beleive it was a 3:42? Notched frame with a plumb bob and string to get it set in the same location as the torque tube rear. Don't know what happened but the rear is looking too far forward in the fender wheel opening.
I have 16x8 rims that will work but in retrospect I would have tubbed the bed sides slightly as it is mighty tight.
I will move rear back about 1" which should do wonders with only a possible drive shaft, and lower spring plate change the perch has three holes so I think I can relocate the center bolt there.This should center wheel in fender opening.
[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/zeker6/URL]]http://community.webshots.com/user/zeker6/URL]

OK I have moved the rear back 1 1/2" you can see thru URL listed above, before and after photos on "Rear Movement"I think it looks better centered Lengthened drive shaft and made new lower spring plates with shock mounts Zeke

The Amish Connection
51 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window,Vortec hotrod, no horse
Re: Rear end choices #8507 Fri Sep 03 2004 08:23 PM
4ontheFloor Offline
Extreme Gabster
AD trucks are supposed to have the wheels about an inch too far forward in the fenderwells.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Re: Rear end choices #8508 Fri Sep 03 2004 08:26 PM
K
Keahi Offline OP
New Guy
Zeke,

The truck looks awesome! Thanks for the pictures.
I noticed you moved the shocks inboard of the frame. Any particular reason? Also, I see you relocated the rear shackle mount into the frame. Was that to lower it?

Cletis - I agree with you. Unfortunately, those are the ratios I have to work with right now. One of these two will going in but I'll always be keeping an eye out for something different.

As far as centering the wheels correctly in the fenderwell I think I may try go the route of others here who swapped the springs end to end. Then I'll plan on drilling a number of holes in the new perches - maybe at 1" spacing - to allow me to fine tune the axle location.

Thanks,
Keahi

Re: Rear end choices #8509 Fri Sep 03 2004 08:51 PM
Z
Zeker6 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Yes to get the frame down a little, Inboard for space reasons, I had them more upright, but tilted to make room for the exhaust.
The 1" looks funny with the 16" Torque thruster II's, it wasn't bad with 14", put 15" on and it moved farther forward with 16" it looks really offset. Although it had 16" 6 lug on old setup was higher. It's really the tear drop shaped wheel opening, maybe it'll grow on me.
This started out as a restoration, my son pushed me the modified way, but it'll be cool when done, it's the finishing that really eats time and $$. Vortec 350 EFI, 400TH, AC, PS, MII IFS, better than my daily Blazer. Zeke

The Amish Connection
51 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window,Vortec hotrod, no horse
Re: Rear end choices #8510 Fri Sep 03 2004 09:46 PM
W
WE b OLD Offline
Master Gabster
i used a 60" nova and spacers . with the 62" you could use 235/70/15 tires without spacers. go to web site rand's ring and pinion and see the effect of different tires heights and gear ratios. there is a number calculator at that site, it is fun to play around with them. my ratio is 2:73 to low but works with the other mods, dual carbs dual exhaust electronic ignition. will change to 3:11 later with t-5 swap. slow as you go, i busted the budget for this year.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Rear end choices #8511 Tue Sep 14 2004 12:30 AM
S
Sedgewick Offline
Shop Shark
I could be wrong but I think the wheels are forward in the rear wheel well is because of the torque tube. When I pulled my tranny I had the truck on stands. I put it back down before I rejoined the torque tube and the tube would not come down and clear the rear of the tranny. When I put it back on stands it did clear. If you scrap the torque tube you can put the wheels in the center methinks!

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: Rear end choices #8512 Tue Sep 14 2004 12:31 AM
S
Sedgewick Offline
Shop Shark
I could be wrong but I think the wheels are forward in the rear wheel well is because of the torque tube. When I pulled my tranny I had the truck on stands. I put it back down before I rejoined the torque tube and the tube would not come down and clear the rear of the tranny. When I put it back on stands it did clear. If you scrap the torque tube you can put the wheels in the center methinks!

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: Rear end choices #8513 Tue Sep 14 2004 04:56 AM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
some say it is best to use a truck rear-end instead of a car, dont know if it is true, have an 84 blazer in mine allowing me to keep the 15 inch 6 lugs chrome reverse rims, it has a 2:73 with a 84 s-10 five speed, driven it over a yr and half and no problem, lost a little on launch but not much, at 60 plus only turning about 1500 rpm, I love it,,,,,,,Fred

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop