The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (59 fleet, 55shaker, 68ironhead, DougH6100, Chris's 46 / 515, 32vsnake, 1 invisible), 87 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,110
Posts1,037,369
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Bubba - Curmudgeon

I have removed the old rubber from the metal plates on my 54/55 GMC COE and will attach the new rubber to those plates, and then bolt the plates (three pieces on each side) back into place.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
J
'Bolter
My step plates were in pretty sad shape and The fender ones were badly rusted so I made new lower ones and did the glued the replacement directly the fender. Not "correct" but as long as it holds up over time. What other adhesives has anyone been using beside the 3M urethane stuff I did mine with?

E
New Guy
Where did you find the new fender rubber? (1955 GMC COE)

1955 GMC COE 2 ton pickup Model 320 cab on S10 chassis
edpent #845358 Sat Apr 21 2012 12:46 AM
G
Shop Shark
Jim Carter has it listed.

Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
V
Wrench Fetcher
I had purchased a set of the COE step pads from JC last summer. While the pads are exact in size and look there are many issues from the molding process. Maybe the molds are getting old and tired that are used for these steps.

Here is a link to some photos I had taken of the step pads:

COE Step Pad Photos

vwlfan #846451 Wed Apr 25 2012 06:33 AM
G
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by vwlfan
I had purchased a set of the COE step pads from JC last summer. While the pads are exact in size and look they many issues from the molding process. Maybe the mold are getting old and tired that are used for these steps.

Here is a link to some photos I had taken of the step pads:

COE Step Pad Photos

That's one of the best-preserved interiors I've ever seen. One question - why are your gauge panels black? On my 54 Deluxe COE (and 54 Deluxe panel), both of which had the two-tone brown interior, the dash is beige and the gauge panels are brown.

Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Bubba - Curmudgeon

My 54/55 GMC COE dash looks like vwlfan's, including the knobs.

vwlfan's dash

Here is a GMC illustration with different style knobs.

Sam (GMCpanel) do you have a photo of your dash (I think I saw it posted somewhere, but I do not remember where).

Thanks,

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
V
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by tclederman

My 54/55 GMC COE dash looks like vwlfan's, including the knobs.

The choke cable on my COE does not have the original knob. None of the available choke cables (with correct knob) on the market were long enough in length to be used for a COE application. I did buy the correct choke knob but I have not yet attempted to remove the third party knob and update it with the correct knob.

Originally Posted by GMCpanel
One question - why are your gauge panels black?

The gauge panels in my COE are the original panels and are unrestored. So at least the non-deluxe trucks had black gauge panels. I bought an extra set of 54/55 gauge panels for a spare and they are black also:
1954/1955 GMC Spare Gauge Panels

Originally Posted by GMCpanel
That's one of the best-preserved interiors I've ever seen.

You might enjoy some of these photos which are from my 53 GMC Fire Truck. The interior is one of the cleanest original and unrestored interiors I have seen.
1953 GMC Unrestored Interior

This is a photo of the area under the gas tank at the time I removed the tank. I know this area looks repainted but this is the original non-faded paint.

1953 GMC Paint Under Gas Tank

Bob

vwlfan #846499 Wed Apr 25 2012 03:00 PM
Bubba - Curmudgeon

Bob,

Where did you get your signal-stat front-signal lamps?

Nice looking COE.

Tim
V
Wrench Fetcher
Tim,
I was able to find both a front and rear set of NOS Signal Stat turn signals by watching eBay. It took me about 18 months to find nice NOS sets. While waiting to find a nice NOS set I had been gathering up nice sets of pre 50s signals (Signal Stat, Dietze, Guide, Arrow Safety, etc.) and then restoring them to be either used or sold. I now do this as a winter project each year.

I sent you a PM also. - Bob

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop