The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (Steve L., D B Cooper, Paul_WNC, Gray_Ghost), 67 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,583
Posts1,032,706
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Exhaust flame throwers
#842280 Sun Apr 08 2012 05:51 PM
B
Wrench Fetcher
Ive been thinking about it for a while, and doing research. I want to make my own, and use something injected into the exhaust pipes; not cutting out cylinders to create richer exhaust. Ive heard propane makes more torchlike flames, and gas seems to give billowy flames, but ignition seems to be the stumper. Im planning to have smoke stacks and want to use an efi injector of some sort. I havent heard of any one trying to use deisel stuff for flame throwers. Would a glow plug ignite pump gas? Would deisel run through an injector ignite just from a glow plug? im not 18 and im not going to be stupid with this- its for show only. I would appreciate the nay-sayers skipping this battle; ive made up my mind already, I just need more information. Any links or actual experience would be great! Thanks

66' Chevy C-30 Rat
Re: Exhaust flame throwers
BrianToste #842304 Sun Apr 08 2012 07:39 PM
L
Master Gabster
A glow plug doesn't work that way. In a deisel w/ glow plugs, the plug only preheats the combustion chamber to aid in starting. It does not ignite the feul like a spark plug does. Once the engine is started, the glow plugs are inactive.
For what you want to do, you might look into one of the kits on the market. Alternatively, you could go Old School and use Model T coils, which work very well and require no outside controls to operate.

Bill Burmeister
LONGBOX55 #842341 Sun Apr 08 2012 11:31 PM
M
mo Offline
Shop Shark
your best bet is to use propane and a spark plug with a simple coil to ignite it. i think your trying to over engineer something that could be so simple. i would use some kind of solenoid to open and close the propane valve. unless thats what you want to use the injector for. i would do some bench testing outside of course with a little distance and try out your ideas. you could pressurize up some gas or diesel hooked up to an injector and try ignite it with a spark plug through a piece of pipe and see what happens but i think you might get a boom being in a confined space such as a pipe. would be a fun experiment to see what would work and doesnt work. keep us posted with your findings. later MO

MO's 1951 chevy 3100 resto mod project
mo #842383 Mon Apr 09 2012 02:44 AM
H
Shop Shark
They make a propane touch for melting frozen cattle tanks, the control is a manual lever. It throws flame about 4 ft. With a little plumbing this could be mounted to the exhaust pipe. Using an igniter from a gas grill should give a good flame. I would use a small propane bottle . Be careful.
You might contact Dragon Man in Colorado springs, he is on the web, he does this with a motor cycle, looks pertly cool. He might shed some light on how he does it.

1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
hankrags #842491 Mon Apr 09 2012 02:26 PM
B
Wrench Fetcher
Yeah, im going to be doing some bench testing before I install anything, maybe some videis for youtube! But its going to be around 2 mo. Before I get into itt, got to many other projects going on 1 daily driver. I just like to plan way ahead so I can gather as much info as possible (and parts). Hell, I been just thinking about it for about a year already!

66' Chevy C-30 Rat
BrianToste #842498 Mon Apr 09 2012 03:01 PM
M
'Bolter
I've never really thought about this until now, but it makes sense to me that you need to test your ideas using a same size pipe as your exhaust pipe will be and have it connected to the vehicle temporarily to see if the exiting exhaust effects the burn of your induced gas and to see how far the exhaust throws the gas.

What ever you do please be safe!

Mike B smile

Mike B #842760 Tue Apr 10 2012 04:18 AM
W
'Bolter
I've seen kits that use a ignition coil wired to a flasher unit. Don't know what was used for gas. I thing something pressurized would be the way to go if you did it. You may want to take apart a salamander heater and see how they do it. I know mine injects a stream of gas/air into a spark plug. Definately use a regulator and some sort of anti-backflow valve. Test it out before you install it.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Whitedog #842840 Tue Apr 10 2012 04:25 PM
J
Wrench Fetcher
why not check what is being sold in speedway motors catalog.they have a complete kit.screw a glowplug into the end of your tailpipe.ahead of the plug plumb in a 1/8 tubing ,use elect fuel pump.get the picture,minature aferburner...youal be carefull now.

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop