The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (klhansen, kevinreabe, farmallb, fonz8261, coilover, 1 invisible), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,427
Posts1,012,785
Members45,231
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hydraulic Floor Jack Lifting Points?
#841416 Thu Apr 05 2012 03:10 PM
L
Lucille Offline OP
Shop Shark
This morning I went out to Wally World and purchased a 2 ton floor jack. I want to put Lucille up on four 2 ton jack stands so I can get a better idea of what is going on with my brake system. I have jacked up the rear axle and placed two of the jack stands just inside the springs underneath the axle. My question is, on the front can I lift the truck up at the center of the front axle with out doing any damage to the axle? I mean that's allot of weight up there! I'm planning on placing the other two jack stands under the axle right under the springs. Will that be OK? I've never had the whole truck up on jack-stands before and am a little nervous.

"Lucille" ..... Proud Member of the "Southern Stovebolts"

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o510/Wolffman26/
Re: Hydraulic Floor Jack Lifting Points?
Lucille #841419 Thu Apr 05 2012 03:20 PM
H
'Bolter
We jacked up a lot of them that way for many years without a problem. If you're concerned about the possibility of axle damage, just jack up one side at a time by using one of the spring mounts on the frame. Straight axles are built rugged enough to handle bumps at road speed, which will create a lot more stress than using a jack on a stationary vehicle. These things aren't toys- - - -they used to WORK to earn their keep!

BTW- - - -that "2 ton" jack is a toy- - - -don't put any part of yourself under the truck until it's supported firmly by jack stands. Those little bitty floor jacks are deathtraps! Here's one I'd consider to be a minimum to safely lift a stovebolt truck, and then only on a level, smooth concrete floor. The professional-type jacks sell for upwards of $500.00 for a reason.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200303997_200303997

Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; Thu Apr 05 2012 03:32 PM.

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #841424 Thu Apr 05 2012 03:38 PM
L
Lucille Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Jerry,
DONE!! Just needed to hear a vote of confidence!! I lifted her at the center of the front axle. No problem!

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
Hotrod Lincoln #841429 Thu Apr 05 2012 03:52 PM
L
Lucille Offline OP
Shop Shark
Jerry,
BTW, I hear what your saying about the "toy" floor jack. I would never trust a cheap jack and would never put myself under the truck while using one. I bought a cheap one because I really don't plan on doing this again.

I thank you for your concern. At 64 I don't want to get crushed. When you get nervous about something that's the good Lord warning you! Now I can go look at my brake system.

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
Hotrod Lincoln #841430 Thu Apr 05 2012 03:54 PM
B
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln

BTW- - - -that "2 ton" jack is a toy- - - -don't put any part of yourself under the truck until it's supported firmly by jack stands. Those little bitty floor jacks are deathtraps! Here's one I'd consider to be a minimum to safely lift a stovebolt truck, and then only on a level, smooth concrete floor. The professional-type jacks sell for upwards of $500.00 for a reason.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200303997_200303997

Jerry

Good information.

Jim

Modern ‘science’: the wonder of a
pre-determined mind…

The ‘baseline belief’ of astronomy:
“Any day now, we’ll pick up a tiny,
coded signal from outer space. Then
we’ll know for certain that there is
intelligence out there, because coded
information does not arise by chance”

The ‘baseline belief’ of biology:
The precisely coded genetic information in
every cell would fill many books…
but we know for certain that no intelligence
could have created life.”

BIG CHEVY 3600 #841482 Thu Apr 05 2012 07:30 PM
H
Shop Shark
I would "ALWAYS" put a jack stand under any thing before putting myself under it. This is mandatory if you are removing the wheels and tires. I don't trust any jack. It only takes a few minutes to be safe, protect yourself and prevent damage to the vehicle.

1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
hankrags #841484 Thu Apr 05 2012 07:53 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Jack stands are a must when placing your self between the truck and the floor. I have jacked up the truck however via the center of the front axle without issue in the past. Not something I could recommend though.

1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
TXChevy50 #841499 Thu Apr 05 2012 09:37 PM
L
Lucille Offline OP
Shop Shark
I haven't been able to find any documentation about how and where to "lift" a Stovebolt, and in my case a "46. Has anyone run across the directions on the proper way to jack these vehicles up? I mean today when you purchase a new vehicle, and this has been going on for some time, you get that info in your owners manual. Any sources out there?

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
Lucille #841507 Thu Apr 05 2012 09:48 PM
Bubba
Today, the vehicles have flimsy jacks, independent suspensions, and uni-body construction - very few strong points under the body.

Out trucks have strong frames and full-width front and rear axles.

Since bottle jacks were the "standard" (optional, usually) GM implement for our trucks, my guess is that you put it under the frame, under or near the front or rear axles, and jack it up (to remove a wheel).

Later vehicles (cars) used bumper jacks to lift them to change a tire.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
tclederman #841552 Fri Apr 06 2012 12:38 AM
'Bolter
In general, any part of the bottom frame rail should be a fine place to lift. For the front, I like trapping my jack pad between the u-bolts on the axle. That way it can't slide at all.

Last edited by truckernix; Fri Apr 06 2012 01:32 PM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop