The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
21 registered members (Cablesmill, FootStomper, dynasoar, '54 3600, 2 invisible), 494 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics106,661
Posts834,135
Members39,824
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
Blast, Dan1945GMC, DANTHECHEVYMAN, Devin bloodorth, Devin c Bloodworth, DOOG, FyrFyterHauss, hotterbrat1, Jeff Riggins, Jeffs65GMC, sweeteddie
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
#981638 - Sat Oct 26 2013 08:23 PM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
MNSmith  Offline
So Cal
Me doing my job: http://youtu.be/vduOEEccXh4

Me doing more work: http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban159.jpg

OK. Thursday. Packed my bags, a tool bag, some fluids, a bag of safety gear, my ipod with a little external speaker system, extra jackets and two coolers full of ice and water. I cranked up the engine and let it warm up a little. My wife put my boy on the bus then sat in front of my Burb 'cause she didn't want me to go. I leaned out the window and told her, "I built this thing, do you really want to sit in front of it??" Play time was over. Time to go.

I hopped on the California freeway system and.....sat in traffic a bunch. Yeah, I shoulda left real early. A lot of stop and go traffic. Everything was working good. Music was cranking. A good test for the cooling system which passed with flying colors. Didn't really have any issues except when traffic speed picked up and I went to merge in to the lane to the right of me. I looked to the right and when I looked back, my lane was stopped. I had to swerve to the right to avoid hitting the guy in front of me. Next on the "to do" list, a rear sway bar.

I got to the Castaic area when my 2 cups of coffee started talking to me. Stretch time! I stopped at a McDonalds and figured I would get an Egg McMuffin or such. Duty done, time to climb the Grapevine. When this thing drops in to overdrive, the RPM's are pretty low. The whole vehicle buzzes! You start noticing when you climb the grade and it drops out of overdrive. Climbed the hill, no problem but felt like horsepower was dropping off near the top. Anyway, up the Grapevine, through Gorman and back down the other side. Good time to see if the brakes work well. They do!

Got to south of Bakersfield and figured it was a good time to check fuel. Remember, the gas gauge isn't working just yet. The Suburban has a 16 gallon tank. I put 7.5 gallons in. That makes me feel good! I should be able to do the whole weekend AND drive home. Onward and upward. Through Bakersfield and on to the track. I actually took the wrong off ramp and had a nice drive through some groves. Got to the gate and called my people for my credentials and passes. In I go. I install the pushbar and kick back, take in the place. Not much going on in the place as it is move in day.

Friday. Some more move in going on. Some cackling. Some testing. Some racing. The Burb is parked in a designated push car parking area. Early, we fire up the dragster to do some tuning and make sure everything is working well. Our driver arrives. By late afternoon it is time to try a push start. The dragster is one of the longer ones made back in the day. I bring the Suburban around, we push the dragster out of the pits and I get behind it. We haven't even made the right turn out the pit road yet. They need to push it backwards. I need to back up. Pit road is full of racers trying to get to the staging lanes. I have a golf cart right on my back bumper and they aren't moving backwards. Chaos multiplied. We finally get the dragster around. I get behind it. We finally start moving towards the staging lanes. http://www.bunchobikes.com/chrrstaging.jpg After getting up through the staging lanes, we finally are waved forward to do a push start. The dragster roars to life with a bang like an M80. http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban159.jpg All works well. We push back to the pits, park the dragster and I park the Burb. The big show, Saturday night is next!

#981660 - Sat Oct 26 2013 11:08 PM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
don stocker  Offline
Shop Shark
osceola, wi
Mark, Congrats! Looks good! More pictures please.
Don

#981900 - Mon Oct 28 2013 02:42 AM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
Achipmunk  Offline
Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
.....some guys are having waaaay to much fun smile

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

#983086 - Fri Nov 01 2013 11:29 PM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
MNSmith  Offline
So Cal
He he. Pictures. I wish. I was the guy doing the work. No time to take pictures. There should be plenty on the web by now. Pics and video.

So, Saturday. We get there early. I see a guy using my push bar as a rest so he could take pictures of the parade of cars going by. No worries. We do a morning cackle to make a little noise and make sure all is good with the dragster. Sometime during the day, an engine builder comes by and asks our crew chief about the tune up. After a little discussion, he gives him a few tips to use. We do a late afternoon fire up to make sure the dragster has heat in it for the big parade. Boy does it sound and look good! Those tips really paid off. When I'm not busy working or helping with the dragster, I go wander. I look at other cars, the small swap meet, etc. I wander after the afternoon fire up and when I get back, I see everyone getting busy. Time to get to the lanes! We end up near the front of the mass of dragsters. Funny car finishes running. Seems we are in the way of some roadsters. The roadsters have guest of honor and such. We are told to push up past the mass of dragsters so the guest can drive through. So there we are out where everyone can see us. I hear over the loud speaker the crowd being given the details of our car. Cool! The parade hasn't even started and our dragster is being pointed out. Of course, my Burb right behind it. We wait, and wait. Then, a few dragsters start to push / parade down the track. Two cars go then I have someone banging on the back of my Burb saying " Go, Go, Go!" Mind you, I've never done this before. I don't want to go first. I want to watch a little so I can see what has to be done. Oh well, down the dragstrip we go. Uneventful. Although I could have paraded slower.

We get to the other end and turn on to the fireup road. Now we wait for the other 60+ dragsters to parade. While I'm sitting there, Steve Gibbs, the guy running the whole deal, sneaks up to my drivers window and startles me a little. He ask if I would volunteer to come around and push another dragster that doesn't have a pushcar. What am I going to tell him, no? He gives me quick instructions, then disappears. A few moments later, he comes back with white shoe polish and writes a big "2" on my passenger windshield. He squeezes a little too hard and white stuff goes all over my cowl. He tries rubbing it off. Whiles he's doing that, I tell him "Don't worry, I got more black paint!" This gets him laughing. That's a good thing, to get Steve laughing!!.............

#993743 - Fri Dec 20 2013 06:44 AM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
MNSmith  Offline
So Cal
Waiting our turn: http://www.bunchobikes.com/sng138.jpg

So, let's see. Steve Gibbs is laughing. Steve Gibbs. Who is Steve Gibbs?? He is THE MAN!! He ran NHRA as the Competition Director for many years. Some say the NHRA has gone down hill since he retired. http://www.bunchobikes.com/stevegibbs.jpg After he retired, he MADE the NHRA Museum. He is now semi retired. http://www.bunchobikes.com/stevegibbstoday.jpg He runs most of these NHRA Nostalgia shows. So when Steve asks if I'll push another car, you bet!!

So, we're in line waiting. Off goes the first car. Steve then asks us to roll up and wait. He sends off another car. We wait. Then he waves us on. What a thrill!! Our dragster fires up. Funny, later on when I talked to our driver, he says that that is the earliest he ever fired up. See, he knows how to put on a good show and he knows it is about the show. When they used to push start for racing, they would wait until the very last minute to fire so that they could conserve fuel for the race. Weight is everything and having that heavy nitro in the tank helps keep the front end from flying up in the sky. Tonight, this thing is going to burn fuel for a half mile. 1/4 mile down the fireup road and 1/4 mile up the track. Plus a few extra minutes to wow the crowd.

In the Suburban, I have the Crew Chief, the Crew Chief's wife, the owner, his wife and me. Since we are going to push another car, the Crew Chief is going to roll out of the Burb as I drive past to go to my next push. I ask the owner of the dragster to stay with me in case I need any help at the other end. The ladies stay with us too. I only have the front row and the middle row. Enough for all of us.

So, the dragster fires up. I follow him but then I need to stop. That darn dragster is so long it won't make the turn back up the track. It needs to be pushed back and turned again. Up he goes. Now, the volunteers or workers aren't clear on how things work. Half of them want me to go on the other side of the wall where most of the push cars will end up going. The other half say, "No. He has the '2'! He goes up the track!!" I follow the dragster up the track. Our driver makes his way down the track and turns in to his spot as directed. I slow enough for the Crew Chief to get out and I continue down the track with the rest of my passengers. Hey! First time I've ever been down a drag strip and it's in a 1951 Chevrolet 3106!!

But why am I telling you all of this???? Watch for yourselves!! In HD with sound!! http://youtu.be/vduOEEccXh4

By the way. Watch as that engine takes heat and the flames get longer and longer and longer........... More to come. Next, I go around to push another car.

#1037945 - Thu Jun 26 2014 03:59 AM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
MNSmith  Offline
So Cal
Eh. Dang water pump gave out.

#1129009 - Sun Oct 11 2015 08:25 PM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
MNSmith  Offline
So Cal
Been a little while. Just painted the inside rear walls. Small parts and trim are at the powder coater.

#1129173 - Mon Oct 12 2015 10:08 PM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
Achipmunk  Offline
need some pics when he powder coated pieces come back.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

#1129418 - Wed Oct 14 2015 04:34 AM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
MNSmith  Offline
So Cal

#1129550 - Thu Oct 15 2015 01:36 AM Re: 1952 Suburban Update / MNSmith [Re: MNSmith]  
Achipmunk  Offline
Good work Mark. Doggone it, some guys have all the talent!!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->