Well? I didn't manage any time. With all the honey-do's before my vacation week and throw in a little pre-prep for a corporate photographer visit Monday and a CEO visit the following Monday, it just ate up my day. They sure do get all excited about electric trucks and stuff. Me? Just another hunk-a-junk with four wheels and a corporate logo that I have to work on. Doesn't make a difference if its a small sedan or a 45 ton crane. So about all I got done was to fit the upper half over the bottom half. This while also making a Ford to Chevy thermostat adapter for a 90 degree swivel so I can route the upper radiator hose around a blower drive for a 302/'40 Ford I'm working on.
Got tired of the broken speedometer on the Burb. There is too much drag somewhere in the system so the drive gear keeps popping off the output shaft on the 700R4. I've tried new cables, different VSS drive, 90 degree drive to take the sharp bend out of the cable, etc. So I've updated to a GPS unit. No more firewall penetration with a drive cable, also. I'll need to make a dash adapter out of some aluminum. It'll be fun as I haven't used the lathe in a minute. I ordered the speedo with high beam and turn indicators. I'll need to wire those in but it will be a nice add. Maybe now I won't have people tell me "Your blinker is on." when I park the thing.
Also, while I'm in there, I can update my idiot lights. "Charging" and "Check Engine." I used the throttle and choke cable holes for those when I first built the thing. Just simple little lights I made fit with some washers. I found some lights that should fit the holes nicely and actually tell you what they are idiots for! I also got a "Parking brake applied" light. So maybe I'll work on a switch bracket somewhere in that system so I can have one of those indicators, too.
I've been using the Burb as a daily driver for the last month and a half. My wife's new Denali got tagged in the rear. I wanted to have fixed right so I sent it off to the body shop. Plus the shop was able to get a little more fixit money out of the offending driver's insurance company. So, while that is out of action, I loaned her my daily driver. Which means I got to drive the Burb. Spending more time in it than just the occasional drive or car show helps you put a finger on things that can be improved. Body and paint is on hold during these cold days, so it's nice to have a little list of to-do's. Plus, it keeps me busy while I wait for Ford parts to show up in the mail. I am almost done wiring up the Model A, so there s also that project, too.
Pretty side done. Now to attach them permanently. Gonna have to wait until Saturday or so. I should clamp both pieces to the rotary table and drill some equidistant holes. I'm thinking some #6 socket head machine screws sunk in to the ring from the top. Might be a little 90's-sh in style. I could spend a little more time and machine some holes to go through the back side. Maybe use some counter sink machine screws. Then really fool everyone and chuck the assembly in to the lathe to clean up the visible edge. At least from all angles it would look like it was one piece. We'll see what I'm inspired to do in the next few days.
1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10. 1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny. 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife’s
Parts trucks- 1951 GMC 9300 1951-GMC 9430 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
The oddball/horrible stuff won't be visible. Looks good on the shiny side.
Kevin Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com] #2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. First car '29 Ford Special Coupe Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.