Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army! We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?
Ok. Had to put the wife's car in to the dealership for the 10 year, 120,000 mile warranty on the timing chains. She's on her 10th year, 115,000 and some change. Good timing. Lemony car. Second timing set!! But that's not why we're here! She get's the crew cab for a daily driver, I get the Burb!
So, the corners are welded in, but that's about it. I gave it a quick coat of rattle can so it wouldn't rust since it is rainy around here. So I figured, good time to smooth out the rear gravel pan. Pretty flimsy. So I made a plywood buck to hold it and that seems to help. Currently spending some time on that.
Today, I had the chance to run the rear seat frames down to the powder coater. They should be ready in two weeks. Maybe. He always says two weeks but it ends up being more like three. $120.00 Usually a decent deal out of him. That's blasted and coated. While I'm waiting, I'll smooth out my clamp brackets since they are currently rough cut.
Tomorrow morning, I get up, head an hour South to find me a new rear bumper and a pair of running boards. I figure it's about time. I was going to have the chrome shop do the rear bumper but it's not original to the vehicle so I have no attachment to it. I'll stick it somewhere out in the yard in case I change my mind.
Once I throw some paint on the gravel pan, I'll roll the Burb back in to the shop and smooth out the rear corners. Also, finish the passenger outer to inner wheel well. And, I have a few holes to patch between the drivers door and rear fender. That should be it for rust until I do the engine swap. That's when I'll address any firewall/floor issues.
I have a punch list on my dry erase and that list is getting smaller. Soon, it will be time to paint. Maybe even this summer!! I do have a few shows to attend. We'll see. It wouldn't bother me to roam around with partial paint!
Got a lot of little punch list things done. Trimmed the rear door panels so they match the side panels. Not easy since I was trying to save money and TIG together the left over pieces from doing the side panels. The aluminum wasn't cooperating but cooperated enough to accomplish the task. We'll see how it holds up.
The rear gravel pan is smooth. Just needs paint. I'm thinking I might as well take it all the way, since I'm getting close to painting anyway, and put some color on it.
Today, if I find time, I'll install a door switch for the dome lights, on the rear doors.
Door switch for dome lights installed. Open the barn door and you have light! I couldn't quite reach to the jamb from the side panel opening. I bought a double nutted adjustable type of switch. I don't like the self tapping style. Well, with how far you have to reach in to put on the back nut, my fingers were just out of reach. Didn't want to do it because I knew the screws were stuck and I had already painted the jamb, but I removed the cable plate anyway. I had to drill out the screws. It made a great place to put the switch. I used stainless screws to reattach the plate and will touch up the paint at a later date as I have other areas to touch up anyway. I'll get a pic later. Today, I want to move the Burb back in to the shop to finish the wheel wells and rear corners.
Got the seats back from the powder coater. Reinstalled those. Pretty!
Rust in the wheel wells is about gone. Rear corners getting a little filler. Going to start working on the body to running board seal area. Plus I'll patch a couple of holes between the drivers door and drivers rear fender.