The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Mickey3100, blueck, tom moore), 169 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,036
Posts970,299
Members43,817
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AD Vintage air firewall pics?
#822514 Fri Feb 03 2012 01:54 PM
K
KevinW Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hi Guys, I am looking to add the VintageAir surefit kit to my 51, But I am unsure what holes are used in the firewall. I want to weld up the rest (PO put a LOT of strange holes in FW) The instructions just say to use existing holes. I email tech support and they don't have any more info. They said to buy one and test fit it. I don't want to buy it yet becuase I have not finalized the engine setup.

So anyone out there have some mounting pics of the Vintage Air kit and how it mounts to the Firewall? Thanks!

51 Chevy 3100 Jigsaw puzzle
69 Camaro SS350 convertible
69 Camaro 327 convertible
Re: AD Vintage air firewall pics?
KevinW #822663 Fri Feb 03 2012 11:31 PM
J
Shop Shark
Here's the page right out of their catalog, looks like a great 'KIT' and the way to go. I did my old 46 a couple years back NO KIT and the tech support at Vintage Air was great, best thing I've ever added to this truck. Also I'm pretty sure they will send you the instructions for your truck prior to ordering and if they won't ask around on this site, maybe some other bolter will make you a copy?
Here it is, download from their site.
:

http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsSection/Surefit/Chevrolet%20Trucks/1947-55%20Chevrolet%20Truck%20(wo-fact%20air)%20Inet.pdf
Best of luck

http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg34wc.pdf

Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; Fri Feb 03 2012 11:38 PM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy [stovebolt.com]
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed [stovebolt.com]
KevinW #822878 Sat Feb 04 2012 04:54 PM
Wrench Fetcher
Kevin,
If you install one of those kits, could you please post your "review" of it with some pictures of your installation? I'm looking at doing it too, but I'm about a year behind you.
Dave Evans
52_3100

52_3100 #822921 Sat Feb 04 2012 07:02 PM
W
Master Gabster
mine looks very similar and is from old air.look at pictures in photobucket.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
KevinW #822966 Sat Feb 04 2012 10:13 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
I am very happy for folks who have installed Vintage Air and Old Air truck air conditioners in their trucks and like the way they work. I haven't seen really good results in the two installations of those products I have experienced in trucks. One friend put one in a 1952 3/4 ton Chevy and the other friend put the other one in a 1958 3/4 ton Apache. Both blew kind of cool but nothing like we are used to in modern cars air cooling. I noticed that many of the vendors of new air conditioning units for vintage vehicles do not list the cfm's or btu's for their units or anything else to compare them. Some couldn't even tell me the ratings when I called them. If I am going to buy a unit I want some factual ratings to compare products. When I finally found out the ratings for some of the vintage air units vendors, the ratings seemed minimal output. Then a friend told me in the 70's he had an under the dash unit in a 60's Chevy pick up that got so cold on a hot day his girlfriend couldn't stand it and he had to turn it off and on to keep from getting too cold. That sounded good to me. So I started researching old under the dash units and what it would take to make one work good and be dependable. Many of the old used under dash units are for sale on Ebay and Craigslist but usually don't include the pump or condenser. I called a really nice guy at a company in Tennessee that builds and repairs a/c pumps and he advised me against trying to rehab an old under the dash unit because there would be too many pitfalls. I told the guy I have a 63 Impala wagon and want an under the dash unit that has a lot of cooling power and the vendor isn't afraid to tell the ratings and compare them to other products. The guy told me to call Catlin Truck Accessories and Auto Air in Jacksonville,Florida because they have been installing under the dash units since 1956 and really know their stuff. One of the Catlin brothers spent a long time explaining the ratings, parts and cost of his most powerful unit and why it would even cool the big wagon. I recommend that anyone considering purchasing an after market air unit call Catlin first at 904 354-8521 and compare the ratings of their products with the other units you are considering. I am saving up for one.

Last edited by truckcamper43; Sun Feb 05 2012 04:57 AM.

Stovebolts are good for the heart
truckcamper43 #823512 Mon Feb 06 2012 03:52 PM
G
I've also been researching and planning on air conditioning for my truck and want to hear more about Vintage Air installs in Ad's.

From what I've read for years now Vintage Air is the best choice. Did a lot of browsing over on the H.A.M.B. and time after time Vintage Air is recommended over the others for both quality, reliability, and customer service.

As far as output and capacity and if the particular unit works very good or not... There are a whole bunch of other variables to consider: condenser area and efficiency, compressor, was the system filled properly (not over filled), and very important is having good cab weatherstrip and insulation.
These AD Trucks only have so much room under the dash. My thought is choose the manufacturer with the best components and service you can find. All the manufacturers of aftermarket AC have the same amount of space to work with in these trucks, unlikely that any one of higher quality kits is head and shoulders above the rest as far as cooling ability.

Choose quality and service, make the best of what you get and don't expect to store your extra ice cream under the seat.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #823588 Mon Feb 06 2012 09:02 PM
K
KevinW Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks for the spirited comments! The Vintage air catalog pics don't show everything.

truckcamper, can you get some firewall pics from your friends 52 3/4 ton installation? thanks

51 Chevy 3100 Jigsaw puzzle
69 Camaro SS350 convertible
69 Camaro 327 convertible
KevinW #823593 Mon Feb 06 2012 09:22 PM
F
Shop Shark
I don't plan to put air in the Fallen Hero's Dream Ride, but I do have Vintage Air in my '68 Camaro and have been very happy with it.

Dave
www.fallenherosdreamride.org
all give some
MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
KevinW #823654 Tue Feb 07 2012 12:47 AM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Sorry I can't get the pictures. The truck was sold two years ago to help pay for the daughter's college tuition.

Stovebolts are good for the heart
truckcamper43 #823700 Tue Feb 07 2012 03:08 AM
J
New Guy
I installed Vintage Air two years ago in my 1950 3100 with 350 sbc. It cools nicely in the warm weather and warms nicely in the cold weather. Installation isn't complicated. I found the kit makes it easy. You will lose your glovebox. (small price for the comfort.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/joetravjr/DSC01632.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/joetravjr/DSC01622-1.jpg

Joe Trav

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop