The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,036
Posts970,299
Members43,817
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Replacing wing window with full glass
#819574 Wed Jan 25 2012 08:41 AM
C
CALav8r Offline OP
New Guy
I have a 51 3100 that I would like to remove vent windows from, and am wondering if I can remove vent windows and relace with full size glass with change of tracks and regulator. Can anyone advise whether this will work, or is it more complicated?

Re: Replacing wing window with full glass
Denny Graham #819595 Wed Jan 25 2012 01:07 PM
K
Wrench Fetcher
I agree, vent windows are cool. But if you don't want them, maybe replacing the doors would be easier.

51 Chevy 3100 Jigsaw puzzle
69 Camaro SS350 convertible
69 Camaro 327 convertible
KevinW #819672 Wed Jan 25 2012 08:29 PM
C
CALav8r Offline OP
New Guy
It appears to me that the doors are the same with a different track rail, and regulator however, I am not sure if that is a fact and would appreciate any input available. I can appreciate the the point of view however, in Phoenix summer driving with the window down, we don't worry about our hats blowing off, we worry about them catching flame

CALav8r #819718 Thu Jan 26 2012 12:43 AM
M
mo Offline
Shop Shark
would like to do the same to my 51 also. two reasons 1 to get a little more arm room and 2 dont want to spend 300 a side for new wing windows. know it can be done but dont know whats involved.

MO's 1951 chevy 3100 resto mod project
mo #819784 Thu Jan 26 2012 03:04 AM
Boltergeist
Guys, I"ve read about this many many times and I've only read of a very few that have been happy doing the switch.
While there are a vendor or two out there that sells a kit to convert them most everyone that I've read about says they wish they would have just switched out the doors.

Perhaps you should offer to swap with someone who has big windows but wants the vent window. Ya'll could swap.

What ever you do keep us posted...and good luck.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #819936 Thu Jan 26 2012 05:43 PM
O
Shop Shark
Do the 50 doors have the same latch set up as the 51? Would the 47-49 doors with the different latch set-up work on the his truck?

He may have to be selective on doors

Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
oldbluetruck #820106 Fri Jan 27 2012 03:02 AM
Boltergeist
the earlier years have a different set up but as long as you use the correct striker plate with the same year door latch you should be fine....I ran into this when the panel I purchased had a 50 door latch and striker plate on the passenger side. When I put the correct 52 door on it I had to change the striker plate to.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #820559 Sat Jan 28 2012 08:23 PM
M
mo Offline
Shop Shark
the problem with switching to the big window is if you switch doors you have the fridge stye door handle also. i certainly like the push button handle better but also like the big window. i wanted to switch the handles already so i am thinking 52 doors with big windows. what do you think? MO

MO's 1951 chevy 3100 resto mod project
CALav8r #821941 Wed Feb 01 2012 06:53 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Thought I would add to the discussion of vent windows but it may not matter if you don't want vent windows for appearance reasons. The function of vent windows can be improved greatly by using the clip on Brezees on the vent windows. The Breezees direct much of the incomming air downward and cool the legs and feet in hot weather. When driving at speed, adjusting the postions of the vent windows with the side windows rolled down allows good ventilation of the cab and deflects wind outward so it doesn't cause all the turbulence you get without a vent window. When the temperature gets over 100 degrees, I wet a kerchief with a bottle of water and wet down my arms and legs. It is amazing how well the evaporation cools the body. I have driven the desert at 110 degrees and was very comfortable using air circulation and a wet rag. Happy to say the temperature guage for the 235 never goes above 3/4 hot.

Stovebolts are good for the heart

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop