The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (46paneltruck, 1 invisible), 171 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,036
Posts970,299
Members43,817
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
leaking windshield
#819480 Wed Jan 25 2012 02:56 AM
R
ragin46 Offline OP
New Guy
Hi. I got a slick 46 GMC 1/2 ton with a windshield that leaks like a sive. I've tried a couple new windshield seals and pulling the hindges back to get the windshield to pull in tighter. The landing area is in perfect shape but the seal doesn't seal at the top in the middle. Do they make a bigger seal?

Re: leaking windshield
ragin46 #819642 Wed Jan 25 2012 05:29 PM
B
Shop Shark
How flexible is the rubber seal ?. I ended up buying one from Steeles Rubber Products after the first one I got from Jim Carter was really stiff. The Steeles product was soft and flexible. Also, where is the splice point located ? If it is up top, it may be leaking a bit.

Britcon #819788 Thu Jan 26 2012 03:09 AM
R
ragin46 Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks for the responce. The seals I've got seem very flexable and I placed the splice on the bottom passenger side. It seems like the seals aren't wide enough and the leak is at the top center, the seal just touches the cab and I've don't know how to get the windshield to laydown any closer short of dissambling it and tweeking it.

ragin46 #820239 Fri Jan 27 2012 04:44 PM
Shop Shark
It may be that the metal reinforcement pieces inside the frame are either broken, or bent. That would make the frame the wrong shape and not fit correctly. Have you taken the frame apart? Also the bent VEE shaped piece that is inside the frame needs to be the right side up.

Hope this helps.

Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
1946GMCDAN #821751 Wed Feb 01 2012 02:50 AM
R
ragin46 Offline OP
New Guy
Man, I didn't want to hear that. I"ve moved the upper hindges back as much as possible and the top, center just will not "pull-in". Looks good every where else. I quess I'll have to dissassemble the *&^#% thing and "fit" it. Thanks

ragin46 #821914 Wed Feb 01 2012 06:02 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
One possible way to "build up" the thickness of the rubber seal in the area without windshield contact would be to cut one or more correct lengths of inner tube rubber and glue it to the back of the seal using black 3M weatherstrip adhesive. The increased thickness may provide good contact between the seal and the windshield in the area where there is insufficient contact to make a good seal.

Stovebolts are good for the heart

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop