The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (clroehm, TooMany2count, blueck, 1 invisible), 160 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,898
Posts969,181
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rod or restore? Rare 54 & opinions needed
waldo53 #814997 Tue Jan 10 2012 02:05 AM
Extreme Gabster
This being a technical website, we prefer to talk in technical terms. The original poster said he has a "HydraMatic". I don't see how anyone could mistake that as a slang term for 'Powerglide'.

I agree it seems a sin to modify an unmolested truck, most especially a first year Hydra-Matic. There was a guy on here a few years ago that bought a running '54 Hydra-Matic that I was familiar with, tore it all to pieces with big plans for a hot rod then ended up parting it out. It made me sick .

I think if you want a hot rod you should find a hull somewhere that is not running and save it from the scrapper. Leave the unmolested originals unmolested.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Cletis #815007 Tue Jan 10 2012 02:44 AM
Shop Shark
Thanks to everyone for all the comments and info. I'd pretty much decided to go the restoration route and you all just confirmed it for me. Thanks again.

Well, I guess that will give me something to do once the 54 is done. One can never have too many projects smile I'll get some pics up once I dig it out of the back of the barn.

waldo53 #815222 Tue Jan 10 2012 09:26 PM
R
Shop Shark
Dealership where I worked had a pickup like this and from stoplight to stoplight it was a terror. I beat the chrysler dealers dodge pu which had a v8.Dont destroy it they are rare.

54hydramaticFL #815460 Wed Jan 11 2012 05:16 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
A 1954 Chevy pick up with a Hydra-Matic is actually one of the best "daily driver" AD trucks. There are many places that still work on the Hydra-Matics and the cost isn't bad when compared to quality work on a modern automatic transmission. 1954 was the first year an automatic transmission was offered in the Chevy pick up truck. Another reason to leave a 1954 truck with a Hydra-Matic transmission in its original condition is the Hydra-Matic is very different to drive and a whole bunch of fun. The Hydra-Matic will shift through the gears really fast unless you have the gas pedal pushed way down for acceleration. The Chevy manual recommends leaving the shift selector in third gear so it will not shift into fourth gear, while driving around town. The shift selector doesn't have detents (clicks) when shifting between gears so it is real smooth to shift up and down as you drive. It is like driving a stick shift and an automatic all in one and the fast shifting adds to the fun. I know some will say you can shift any automatic trans up and down with the gear selector but the Hydra-Matic was designed to have more driver participation, especially around town. You still have the choice to let the shifting be fully automatic. I put Patrick's 3.55 rear end gears in my 1954 1/2 ton Chevy with Hydra-Matic and it will run 70 mph without straining. You do have to use a pre 54 carrier to put a Patricks ring and pinion in a 54. The Hydra-Matic gear selector on the steering column is also quite different in the way the gears are numbered and without any "P" or parking gear. Reverse gear "R" is the parking gear. A unique transmission in the history of automatics and Stovebolts and well worth preserving.

Last edited by truckcamper43; Wed Jan 11 2012 05:26 PM.

Stovebolts are good for the heart
Cletis #815473 Wed Jan 11 2012 06:20 PM
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by cletis
Leave the unmolested originals unmolested.

I could not agree more.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #815604 Thu Jan 12 2012 02:25 AM
G
Shop Shark
The shift selector doesn't have detents (clicks) when shifting between gears so it is real smooth to shift up and down as you drive.

There are detents between gears. That mechanism is under the hood on the bracket that holds the neutral start switch. The problem is that the swivel on the shift indicator handle gets stuck to where the handle does not have the "pull forward" to change gears. It gets stuck in the forward position bypassing the detents. When all is freed up, you do have to pull the lever forward to shift and can feel it detent into each position.

Greg_H #815770 Thu Jan 12 2012 05:43 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks for the information about the detents. Always learning something new here on the Bolt. The detent mechanism probably prevents accidently shifting gears. Not having the detents is nice so don't think I will repair it. No one else drives the truck anyway. I will study the mechanisms to fully understand the intended operation.

Stovebolts are good for the heart
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop