The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (drdoug, D B Cooper, 3B, 3800GUY, 2 invisible), 115 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,081
Posts1,037,108
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Shop Shark
I am torn between the west coast style mirror or the original style for my 57 cabover project. I like the clean look of the original single arm with a mirror but an concerned about the mirror vibrating at speed and not being able to see. I have the original brackets and thought about just fabing ip some tubing for the arm. Anyone have any experiece with the originals?

Shane
1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside
1959 Apache 3200 NAPCO
1957 Chevy 5700 Low Cab Forward
1959 GMC F370 LCF
Another 1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside
1959 Chevy 5700 LCF
1946 Chevy 1/2 ton
1958 GMC 600
1974 Elcamino SS

H
Shop Shark
All the bigger taskforce trucks that I have seen have had west coast mirrors on them. I however have thought about using stock pickup truck bracket with the west coast brackets using the small arm for a spotter mirror provided the two don't interfere with one another.

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
S
Master Gabster
you always see the west coast type because the tiny shaky original long arm mirrors are useless, if you've got a garage queen for show, go original, if you're going to actually use it, especially on busy crowded roads, use the west coast type, safety trumps looks

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
E
Wrench Fetcher
I like the west coast mirrors on my 52 6400. It makes the cab of the truck fit the dump bed. With them off the bed looks too wide for the truck.

52' Chevy 6400 2 ton

B
Shop Shark
I kind of thought they would be useless but I have never had any experience with them. West cost style it is. Thanks for all the input

Shane
1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside
1959 Apache 3200 NAPCO
1957 Chevy 5700 Low Cab Forward
1959 GMC F370 LCF
Another 1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside
1959 Chevy 5700 LCF
1946 Chevy 1/2 ton
1958 GMC 600
1974 Elcamino SS

M
'Bolter
Buggy,

I have both...

My Fire Engine has a 5x7 rectangle and a 5" round convex on the original single arm and I've logged over 20K miles using then. The Right side vibrates worst than the Left, but they do the job. No matter what type mirror I put on the Fire Engine I wouldn't be able to see the idiots that like to tail gate me.

The West Coasters are on my Tow Truck and they are rock solid and just what I need for backing up to hook up.

Both of these trucks can be seen in the Gallery.

Mike B smile

S
'Bolter
Speaking of mirrors, on a 1948, would they have been round or rectangular mirrors? I saw on your 57 fire truck they are square.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton [stovebolt.com]
S
Master Gabster
Paul - the standard mirrors were the small round ones, the larger rectangular ones [5x7] were extra cost options on the TF series, as well as adjustable long mirror arms - there were also optional west coast mirrors available then - might have been a bigger one optional for some AD years as well, you'd have to check the accessories or salesmens books

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
S
'Bolter
If it will make you feel better, West Coast mirrors were a Dealer installed accessoery, that were always in the Chevrolet "Silver Books", as available optional accessories.

Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I echo Mike B -- I went stock original when I restored my '49 4400 -- single arm with the 4-inch round mirror. It is useless! It vibrates to the point where you really can't see anything at speed. And backing up is more of an act of faith than anything else. If I were to do it again (or if I hadn't just sold that truck smile ), I'd put the west coast mirrors on it -- only way to fly if you actually want to drive the truck.

My opinion only -- and not an expert one at that.

John

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop