The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (Sir Duke), 111 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,323
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#810640 Tue Dec 27 2011 02:37 PM
D
'Bolter
Bought my total stock 1950, 3604 truck in September 2005 and over the next few year
put about 8,000 miles of trouble free fair weather driving on it. The bad part was that she
used a LOT of oil during those 8,000 miles. My compression was right up there and ya
couldn’t see it smokin’ out the tail pipe, well, maybe at night in the headlights of the cars
behind ya you could see a little haze, but there wasn’t any noticeable smoke in the day
light and cleaning the plugs every 1,000 miles or so kept her running sweet as honey. See
when I say she used a LOT of oil I mean 1 quart every hunert or hunert-n-fifty miles.
Heck, my joy riding was costing me more for Rotella-T than it was for the petrol I was
burning. The fact was that I was getting an oil change every five or six hundred miles, but
I did do a real drain at about 1K just to flush out any of the black stuff, which made the
fresh earl look like India ink after a couple hundred miles.

Back in the fall of 2009 I decided to put the new front bumper on, which I’d bought the
first year that Bluebelle and I had meet. Well a new front bumper warranted nice fresh
looking brackets so they came off. The gravel pan was already in a position for renewal
residing between the two and while I was at it the grill could use a little sprucing up and
on it went till the whole front clip was scattered about the garage. This offered easy
access to the steering gear and at long last the Engine and transmission so now was the
time to end the oil consumption that had been eating away at me for the past four
years.
Checking the bore revealed a slight ridge and about .006“-.008” cylinder wear from the
62,000 miles of faithful service she‘s performed over the past six decades. A month or so
at the machine shop had the engine back home for assembly. Another year of
procrastination went buy getting all the body parts, steering gear, and transmission back
in shape. But it all came together this fall and in October I started giving her some road
time. We just finished up with the Christmas bit and so far I’ve managed to put a little
over 2,000 miles on the old gal. Changed the break-in oil at 500 miles, clear as a drop of
dew and I’m now at about 1.500 miles on this charge of oil and it’s the same, clean as a
whistle and that‘s with out any filter mind you!. And what I really like, the line on the
dip-stick has hardly moved in all that time.
So I’m forecasting the color of oil for 2012 to be, all clear.

Signed,
One happy camper,
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; Tue Dec 27 2011 02:40 PM.
Denny Graham #810649 Tue Dec 27 2011 03:09 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
Cool, my '38 is going in this week or next for bypass surgery. I have a wrist pin that's decided to retire.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Denny Graham #810669 Tue Dec 27 2011 04:30 PM
D
Shop Shark
What MPG are you getting after the rebuild?

DADS50 #810676 Tue Dec 27 2011 05:12 PM
D
'Bolter
Actually I've been getting a little worse mileage than I was before the rebuild Gus. I'm using
the same carb (a W-1), the same distributor (on the ball), same plugs (AC R45), the same
gas station. I have been a lot more aggressive in my driving though and have put a lot of
miles on the interstate, toll ways and freeway and have been pushing it to keep up with
the 55mph limits.
I was running between 12 and 13 mpg before and now over the past 2k or 16-18 fill ups
I'm averaging between 11 and 12. So it seems that it's dropped off by about a mile per
gallon. However, no cost for oil!
It may just be that she's still a little tight although I don't notice that when she starts hot
or cold, it could be because she is .020" over bore, it could be the way I've been driving
her and it could be a combination of all of these.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; Tue Dec 27 2011 05:13 PM.
Denny Graham #811193 Thu Dec 29 2011 03:38 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
your milage should inprove as the engine starts to "wear in", their always a little tight after a rebuild. Keep drivin and change the oil, check the valves and try to avoid downshift that rev up the rpms while braking.

roberr54 #811290 Thu Dec 29 2011 03:23 PM
'Bolter
Here is an interesting thought. I wonder if the combustion of oil along with the gas contributes some energy as a fuel to the running of the engine.

truckernix #811454 Fri Dec 30 2011 02:33 AM
D
'Bolter
You're thinkin' to hard Fred, I doubt seriously if that would have any bearing on it at all. In fact all the carbon that was created even appeared to have pock marked the valve seats from the valve job that was done when I first brough her home 8,000 miles ago. Luckly just touching them up with a little lapping compound and a stick cleaned them up without widening out the seats to much.

DG

Denny Graham #811489 Fri Dec 30 2011 04:33 AM
'Bolter
Denny,
I wasn't commenting in relation to your apparent change in mileage. I was just wondering what affect burning oil would have in the actual amount of mechanical energy retrieved from the process.

Fred

truckernix #811501 Fri Dec 30 2011 05:17 AM
S
Master Gabster
gasoline = about 114,000btu/gallon .... waste oil = over 150,000btu/gallon .... maybe we should stop complaining about our worn out engines grin

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
squeeze #811555 Fri Dec 30 2011 12:41 PM
B
Shop Shark
yeah, but any extra energy produced is quite easily seen coming out the crankcase vents in the form of blowby. Not measured at the crankshaft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop