The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (LexAdmn, MikeE, Bruce36 1.5, Rabaut, KEVINSKI, Phak1), 78 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,080
Posts1,037,102
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jack02 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hi Guys, pizza man here. Any thoughts on getting my truck to stop better, disk, changing axle etc.. i really need to stop better. Truck weighs 12k lbs now with pizza equipment.
Thanks in advance.
jack oldworldpizzatruck.com

A
Wrench Fetcher
Its not going to put you thru the windshield when you tap the brakes you have to drive acording to the load and road conditions, are the brake shoes properly adjusted,and is the hydro vac working, if the truck has seen little use and has not been driven much lately there is a good chance that the a wheel cylinder has stuck, this greatly reduces your stopping power, there is nothing wrong with a stock brake set up when done correctly, I went thru a 23 2 ton Chev with new parts and pieces and it will throw you against the steering wheel and it has a overhead moving van body on it.

J
jack02 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
It does not have a hydro vac on it brakes are adjusted but the main problem is going down long hills and having to stop fast. The brakes getted heated on the hills. I drive it regularly as it is my business. The truck ways about 12300 lbs with all that i added to the body.. I don't think hydro will help heating of brakes do you? That's why i was think of disk..
Thanks, Jack

S
Master Gabster
surprised it doesn't have the hydrovac, was an RPO but pretty common original equipment and it will help, along with downshifting on hills and not riding the brakes ... my 46 with hydrovac had better brakes than any other lighter old truck I've had, if you're pushing that rig on the highway you should get the hydrovac

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
M
Wrench Fetcher
I would think the truck is rated for around 15000 lbs, so the factory brakes should be adequit. Are your hoses in good shape? maybe try dot4 fluid. disc brakes will actually build up more heat than a drum brake set up.

A
Wrench Fetcher
I would think that 46 had a hydro vac, some one with knowledge about that vintage should chime in here, but it sounds like too much downhill speed to start with as in being in too high of gear and riding the brakes, rule of thumb is go down the hill in the gear you went up.

J
jack02 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I grew up in the trucking business, so i know how to drive trailers down to something like this, the problem going down hill if you have a 1mile to a couple mile hill is that you either brake on and off or downshift but then you will start over revving..

J
jack02 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
It is a daily driver for me in the summer, highway, streets, hills whatever. I mean if someone pulled out in front of me and i was going 40 mph or they stopped short, this truck is not stopping.

J
jack02 Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
where can i get a hydrovac for it and will it help that much...

R
Shop Shark
The hydrovac will NOT help you stop better. It only makes the pressure required of your legs, less.

I would do a preliminary check of all moving parts in the brake system and make sure everything is adjusted accordingly. As mentioned above, a stock system is more than adequate for hauling the weight you mention.

The huck brake system does require normal adjusting of each brake shoe seperately if the truck is used as commonly as you say.

Is this system stock?

Jeff

Hey guys, hows the weather? grin

Lifes to short to worry about how short life is.

1951 Oldsmobile Super 88 w/303 and hydramatic
My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 GMC Art Deco COE / 1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop