The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (Goach2, delky, dands, Texas Hussy, 1 invisible), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,337
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
12v conversion kills battery
#801697 Mon Nov 28 2011 10:25 PM
B
bgd54 Offline OP
New Guy
Just converted to 12v and the battery dies over night. Directions say to trash the voltage reg and connect all wires together minus field wire. Alternator is good. Had it tested. Battery is new. Also had that tested. Good to go. I left the negative side hooked up over night and it still killed the battery with pos unhooked. Any suggestions?

Re: 12v conversion kills battery
bgd54 #801707 Mon Nov 28 2011 10:41 PM
H
Boltergeist
If the battery dies with a cable disconnected, you've got a bad battery. Try another one.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
bgd54 #802581 Thu Dec 01 2011 04:22 PM
F
Shop Shark
I would suspect the battery drain is coming from your alternator. It is common for a slight drain from the alternator to occur. That is why when modern alternator charging systems were introduced the accessory type ignition switch also came into being. The accessory post (now a fourth terminal on the ignition switch) was isolated from the rest of the terminals on the switch and that stopped the feedback current at that terminal. You can do the same thing with a DA Plug and you will not have to change out your ignition switch. Thanks Randy

fifthave #802594 Thu Dec 01 2011 05:25 PM
H
Boltergeist
The parasitic drain from a built-in regulator is in the range of a few milliamps, and it would take a month or more to have a noticeable effect on the state of charge of a good battery. I cannot imagine how even that drain would have any influence on this situation, since the battery apparently died overnight with one cable disconnected ! A leaky diode bridge will discharge a battery quickly, but that should be apparent when the charge lead is connected to the alternator by the wire terminal making a spark as it's connected.

It sounds like there's either been some sort of mis-wiring done when the regulator was eliminated, and/or the battery has gone toes-up.
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #802686 Thu Dec 01 2011 11:48 PM
F
Shop Shark
Should be easy enough to check the wiring and see if it is correct. I have seen bad internal regulators and or diodes kill a battery overnight, but it is not common and it is usually in combination with something else that is wrong. Checking the wiring between the battery and the alternator is where I would start. Randy

fifthave #802719 Fri Dec 02 2011 01:57 AM
R
Shop Shark
If the positive post is disconnected from the battery, to my way of thinking it wouldn't matter if the headlights were left on. Nothing would drain the battery if it is disconnected.

I had a two month old battery die in my old truck a few days ago. Had a cell go wide open.

Roy Rodgers #802747 Fri Dec 02 2011 03:18 AM
H
Boltergeist
A battery in my daily-driver Mercury Sable failed a few years ago during a 20-mile drive from my home to town. It went completely open-circuit to the point it would not burn the headlights, let alone crank the engine. The battery was less than one year old.
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #802755 Fri Dec 02 2011 03:27 AM
R
Shop Shark
Us humans put things together, sometimes they just don't hold up.

Roy Rodgers #802873 Fri Dec 02 2011 03:18 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Am I missing something here??? The guy said his battery was disconected and it
went dead over night. In other words the battery might as well be sitting on his
work bench and it went dead over night. Internally shorted battery????

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; Fri Dec 02 2011 03:18 PM.
Denny Graham #802941 Fri Dec 02 2011 08:03 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Change the battery, just because it load test fine when charged dont mean it is good.

52' Chevy 6400 2 ton

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop