The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (Goach2, delky, dands, Texas Hussy, 1 invisible), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,337
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 6 volt generator
oldbluetruck #799879 Tue Nov 22 2011 03:46 AM
M
Shop Shark
Ah, well, when you take the valve cover off, and the spark plugs off, you can tun the engine over by hand, and watch the valves and rockers move.

This awesome Chevrolet film will give you some ideas.

http://www.archive.org/details/DowntheG1935

Christopher

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
oldbluetruck #802588 Thu Dec 01 2011 04:34 PM
F
Shop Shark
Did you polarize the generator to the regulator...? There is a free information on how to check the regulator and generator on the vehicle as well as how to polarize the generator to the regulator at fifthaveinternetgarage.com/techtips.

fifthave #803800 Mon Dec 05 2011 07:05 PM
O
Shop Shark
Thank you all very much.

Thank the Good Lord for the rain during last weekend

I rebuilt the carburetor but may have missed on one thing so I will open it back up and fix that. There is a ball with a spring and a T shaped metal thing at the top. It pops loose so I held it in place while I put the top on. This may not be good so I will take the top off and push it down at 90 degrees like I noticed on another carburetor I have for a 235.

I took off the top valve cover and turned the engine. I thought with the second valve down that was where the first spark plug wire needed to be. It started raining so I couldn't change the wiring. Thank God for rain. This is when the valve is open not shut. I need to do that again.

I thought I polarized the generator but will go to that site to make sure.

I will get this thing running. I will take some time.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
oldbluetruck #804019 Tue Dec 06 2011 04:18 AM
ace skiver

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
oldbluetruck #804154 Tue Dec 06 2011 05:58 PM
H
Boltergeist
I think you're confused about how to set the firing order. The pistons come to the top of the stroke twice, once at the top of the compression stroke, ready for a spark, and again one turn later, at the top of the exhaust stroke with both valves slightly open. Two cylinders top out at once, #1 and #6. Here's the best way I've found to get it right the first time:

1. Turn the engine, clockwise from the front. Watch the valves on the #6 cylinder.

2. The #6 exhaust valve is the last one in line, right back by the firewall. Turn the engine until it's fully open, with the spring compressed. Keep turning until the exhaust is almost closed and the intake just begins to move. It's the second one in line from the firewall.

3. With the #6 cylinder in this position, called "overlap" or "rocking" THE DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR SHOULD BE POINTED TO THE #1 PLUG WIRE POSITION ON THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP.

4. Start the firing order with the #1 plug wire in the cap position the rotor is pointing toward, and follow with the 5-3-6-2-4 order.

This is the simplest, most foolproof way I've found to make sure the distributor is installed correctly. It's more accurate than trying to stick a thumb over the spark plug hole and look for compression pressure.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #804163 Tue Dec 06 2011 06:35 PM
O
Shop Shark
Thank you Jerry. I will check this next weekend. Weekends are the only time I have. And usually it is only for an hour or so.

Thank you very much

Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop