The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (ApacheFiend, Eureka Jim), 114 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,137
Posts926,798
Members42,560
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1950 4400 "behind the barn" find #801730 Mon Nov 28 2011 11:28 PM
C
cattech Offline OP
New Guy
I wanted to share a little about me and my new project. We live in west central Indiana. My work takes me all over the state (I am a field service tech for a cat dealer)and i see all kinds of thing that would make a good project. I found this truck behind a barn near logansport. Walt parked it there him self 30 years ago. had i not been there working on a machine it would still be there rusting away. I offered him $100 just to break the ice. He said "$150 and you haul it off". Well it took us (me and my wife)till the weekend to get back there with a trailer. (from the pictures in the link you can see my work truck) Had I not had the crane it would have taken a wrecker to get it out of the hole. I was amazed, five of the six tires were still holding air. Once it was up on hard ground, we had to block the wheels so it wouldn't role down the hill. the interior is ROUGH to say the least. the odometer shows 40,??? miles and i'm pretty sure it's original. There was no air cleaner on it so i figured the engine would be locked up. the engine turned over by turning the fan. On the way home, we made a couple stops to check the chains. three different times people took pictures of it on the trailer. Once we got it home, I couldn't wait to get at it. I pulled the plugs and the carb. filled the cylinders with tranny fluid and turned it over by hand what felt like 1000 times. fortunately it was 12VDC, I put a battery in and the blower motor and the lights came on. I stepped on the starter pedal and she rolled away. (got so involved i forgot to put it in neutral.) Put the plugs in and cleaned out the carb. No fire, no spark. NAPA had it,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,coil, points and condenser. So after the tune up. and a refresher on how to adjust points. it fired up and ran with no smoke or knock. We got it moved into the barn so I can get it torn apart over the winter. The goal is to get it painted and back together by summer 2012. Hope the link to the pics work.. http://photobucket.com/cattech1950

Last edited by cattech; Wed Nov 30 2011 03:08 AM.
Re: Here is a link to the 1950 -4400 Chevy I bought . [Re: cattech] #801808 Tue Nov 29 2011 04:00 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
There is some work there but overall it looks pretty solid. And its a deluxe cab. Corner windows and window trim ect. Whats your plans for it.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Here is a link to the 1950 -4400 Chevy I bought . [Re: Achipmunk] #801818 Tue Nov 29 2011 04:44 AM
H
Husker Offline
Shop Shark
Ditto what Alvin said. Great looking truck. Plans??

Re: Here is a link to the 1950 -4400 Chevy I bought . [Re: Husker] #802000 Tue Nov 29 2011 11:32 PM
C
cattech Offline OP
New Guy
plans are simple restore. nothin fancy. i want it to run good and look decent. it does run!!!! took some work and a good tune up. finally got it fired after its 30 some year coma.

Re: Here is a link to the 1950 -4400 Chevy I bought . [Re: cattech] #802078 Wed Nov 30 2011 02:36 AM
J
JoeM Offline
New Guy
Tracy,

I see you got the hang of posting pictures. I was just looking at your other thread from before. She looks like some definitely doable work. Has real potential!

Joe M

1964 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Truck Restoration Photos Phase I
Restoration Phase II

A well planned task is already half done. ~ Louis L'Amour
Re: Here is a link to the 1950 -4400 Chevy I bought . [Re: JoeM] #802092 Wed Nov 30 2011 03:14 AM
C
cattech Offline OP
New Guy
it took some doing, my wife is the computer wiz. I'm just a mechanic. I am eager to get to it. I just posted/edited my gallery submission, wanted to give a little background.

Re: Here is a link to the 1950 -4400 Chevy I bought . [Re: cattech] #803643 Mon Dec 05 2011 03:26 AM
C
cattech Offline OP
New Guy
not sure if anyone is keepin track but i'll keep postin. got a good start on the tear down. hood is off and started stripping the paint and rust. on stands and got the front wheels off. definately needs king pins and wheel bearings. anybody know where to get a bit to take out those odd screws? fenders and doors will come off next. hope to have it doen to the frame and engine in a week or so. my wife is keeping a photo record of the project so there will be a before and after.

Re: Here is a link to the 1950 -4400 Chevy I bought . [Re: cattech] #804417 Wed Dec 07 2011 03:34 PM
R
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark
Looks like a good project. Welcome to Stovebolt! Check out the Big Bolt forum for more info on your truck.
Those screws are called clutch head screws. Bits and screwdrivers for those are available. Do a search of the forums for more info. These have been discussed here before.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

One of the biggest problems facing the world today is apathy. But who cares?

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop