The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (55 SHAKER, 3B, dands, DennisM, 3 invisible), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,332
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alternater ?
#791090 Sat Oct 22 2011 03:54 AM
Shop Shark
I was reading earlier about wiring up a alternater.They had a GM with the plug for the exciter. They had run the exciter wire to the batt lug on the alternater. this way the batt fed the exciter and then the alternater charged. Basicly made a one wire alternater.Will this work? Will the higher voltage to the exciter cause the alternater to fail sooner? just a thought, wont rewire my motor till i hear some thoughts... If it works I can use the feed off the starter to go to the dist side of the coil for starting.

Re: Alternater ?
59chevy36 #791103 Sat Oct 22 2011 04:38 AM
H
Boltergeist
I've wired them that way for over 30 years with no failures. If you look at original-equipment wiring diagrams, they've got full battery voltage there on most of the systems anyway. The other connector is only needed if you plan to run an idiot light.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #791162 Sat Oct 22 2011 01:26 PM
W
Master Gabster
HRL answered your alt. Q. although Ive never run one like that.
In regards to the bypass feed, you cant run from the starter to the dist. side of the coil. I dont know what ign. system you are useing but if you have a stock 59 system the bypass goes from the R term on the starter to the pos. side of the coil.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Wrenchbender Ret. #791171 Sat Oct 22 2011 02:28 PM
Shop Shark
Yes Thats what I ment to say. From the starter to the coil side of the ballast resister. I was hoping to get it started a little quicker. Thanks for the info.

59chevy36 #792065 Tue Oct 25 2011 03:31 PM
F
Shop Shark
You can wire an alternator that way and it will work...but it is kind of missing the point. The purpose of the exciter wire is to excite the fields inside of the alternator when you turn the key on so the alternator will begin producing current as soon as the engine is running. It is indeed better to connect the exciter wire to the ignition or (+) side of the coil or the coil terminal on the ignition switch. You will have a slight but constant electrical draw if you connect the exciter wire to the battery instead. If you drive your truck everyday you can get by. Keep in mind that if you are replacing a generator with an alternator and you do not have the more modern accessory type ignition switch that the engine may keep running after you turn the key off because the alternator is still producing current at idle whereas the generator did not. The fix is a DA Plug which will make everything work as it did before. and you will live happily ever after....

fifthave #792299 Wed Oct 26 2011 04:53 AM
H
Boltergeist
On every factory wiring diagram I've been able to find, the #2 connector on the perimeter of the 10SI alternator housing gets unswitched battery voltage. The #1 terminal (called the 'exciter' by some) is used as a ground for an idiot light. It might also kick in the charge a little quicker, but in my experience it's absolutely unnecessary for proper voltage regulation. Your mileage may vary!
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #792302 Wed Oct 26 2011 05:04 AM
Shop Shark
Thanks for the updates. I am also trying to get a old tractor running and it has idiot lites for gen and oil. and was converted to alternater also. i have had the same batt in this truck for 10 years and its still doing well . I thought if I ran a wire to the coil it would start quicker. I have a volt guage in the dash so I can see it charge.

59chevy36 #792383 Wed Oct 26 2011 03:46 PM
H
Boltergeist
If you're running a coil with a ballast resistor between the ignition switch and the coil, the normal running voltage at the coil + terminal will be around 9.5 volts. A bypass wire from the starter solenoid "R" terminal to the downstream side of the resistor or the coil + terminal is a good idea so the coil gets full battery voltage during cranking. That circuit has nothing whatsoever to do with the operation of the alternator, however.
Jerry

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop