The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (9% grade, Harold46, JiMerit Boltr#43, Est2rad customs, McMike, 1 invisible), 250 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,335
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
8 volt system vs guages
#788570 Thu Oct 13 2011 06:53 PM
Boltergeist
Sometime ago we had a good discussion about 8 volt batteries but I can't seem to find it....which is no surprise.

So, my question is two fold.
1. will an 8 volt battery mess up the 6volt guages? ....or bulbs.

2. Is there a real advantage to 8
volts vs 6 volts?

Educate me.....again!!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: 8 volt system vs guages
Achipmunk #788578 Thu Oct 13 2011 07:14 PM
B
Shop Shark
I just replaced the 8v battery that was in my 51 1/2T when I got it with a 6v from Autozone. I've been told the 8v only makes it start faster and long term may cause a bit more wear on the bulbs and such.
I haven't noticed any difference with the 6v battery. Still starts on the first stomp and the lights appear just as bright, tho thats a new 6v vs an 8v that could be a decade or so old.

BLUEMEANIE #788614 Thu Oct 13 2011 09:22 PM
H
Boltergeist
Did you re-adjust the voltage regulator when you switched back to the 6V? You might be putting somewhere in the range of 9.5 volts into the 6V battery, depending on whether it was set up properly to charge the 8V battery originally.

Yes, if a charging system is set up right when the 8V is installed, it will shorten the lifespan of light bulbs and ignition points somewhat.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #788626 Thu Oct 13 2011 10:33 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
In short, I wouldn't mess with an 8v battery in a system like this. I think they were popular on the farm in the tractors with 6v and not a whole bunch more electrical than the starting circuit.
I don't know what your wanting to start Alvin, but as we've discussed a 'hunert times on here, good clean joints, a good switch, good brushs and commutator, no unusual binding and there is no reason a 6volt system won't start you 6 popper.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Denny Graham #788671 Fri Oct 14 2011 01:45 AM
Boltergeist
I'm just "scratching for info". I agree with you Denny and what I "thought" years ago vs what I "KNOW" now are worlds apart. I needed some refreshing and you guys are giving it to me. Thanks.

EDIT: actually this is a subject I'm trying to be of help to another truck guy. I just could not remember all the "ins and outs" and didn't want to lie to the guy smile
and its been so long since I actually ran the 8 Volt I had to turn to where the Knowledge is!!

Last edited by Achipmunk; Fri Oct 14 2011 01:48 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #788679 Fri Oct 14 2011 02:02 AM
ace skiver

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
tclederman #788757 Fri Oct 14 2011 01:14 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Aha,dint thing you were thinking about an 8 volter or one of your rides. Lieing and BS'ing are two different animals Alvin. Ya lie when you want to get the upper hand in a situation, and ya BS when ya just want to impress someone in to thinking you know what you're talkin' about. Heck, when it comes to BS'ing I do it all the time, haven't you noticed?

Back to the 8v thing, my '54 had one in it when I drove it home last fall. No doubt put in by the last guy that had it for a few months, it's now a DC power supply down at the radio bench. I'm not doing much on the '54 because I've been focusing on the '50 lately. But from what little digging I have done on it, I could tell there were a whole bunch of bandaids applied in an attempt to make her road worthy. The 8v deal was just one of them and it's out of the picture now. Along with the starter, generator/regulator and light switch having been rebuilt, some of the maintainance has been done to the rest of the electrical system to bring the 6v system back up to par.
DG

Achipmunk #790583 Thu Oct 20 2011 05:06 PM
F
Shop Shark
Yep 8-volt will mess things up. 8-volts is in reality treating the symptoms and not fixing the problem. If the 6-volt charging system cannot keep the 6-volt battery fully charged how can we expect it to keep an 8-volt battery that needs 9.5 volts from the charging system....fully charged.

What needs to happen is you need to fix the 6-volt charging system so it will charge about 7-7.5 volts and that will keep your 6-volt battery up in good shape, your lights will be bright and your truck will start much better...The 8-volt battery will work good when you first install it until the voltage drops below 6 volts or whatever output it can get from the charging system then you will be back where your started. The biggest problems with 6-volt batteries is there is seldom 6-volts in the battery. With 5.0 to 5.5 which is common you cannot expect the starter to turn the engine over and the ignition to provide a bright blue spark on low voltage. It works out far better to get your 6-volt system up in shape....thanks Randy

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop