The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (68ironhead, 1946GMCDAN, 66flea, DennisM, BC59, 2 invisible), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,723
Posts919,618
Members42,320
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gas Gauge Question #784688 Thu Sep 29 2011 03:45 PM
J
Jimmi_V Offline OP
Shop Shark
Members, I installed a new gas gauge and sending units in my 54 3100. I tested both before installing...seperatly and then together. All was fine. I installed them and they worked fine for 600 miles. Now my gas gauge is pegged at full. When I turn the motor off the needle is at 1/2 way...turn on and it pegs.

Befoe I start tearing into it..anyone else have this problem ? could save me a bunch of time.
I plan on checking my grounds,then taking out sending unit,and checking it manually. Having it hooked up and moving the float arm up and down to see if any movement...then go from there. Is this the right direction?
Thanks

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

"True victory is victory over one's self."
Krav Maga isn't pretty ... but it works just fine.

Jimmi V.
Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: Jimmi_V] #784712 Thu Sep 29 2011 05:24 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist

6v or 12v electrical system?

6v or 12v gauge?

If 12 electrical system and 6v gauge, what type of resistor, and how/where is it connected?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: tclederman] #784716 Thu Sep 29 2011 05:38 PM
W
waldo53 Offline
Shop Shark
More than likely you've lost the ground at your tank that the sender needs to complete the circuit. Does it have a short ground wire at the sender flange or was it getting it's ground through the mechanical connection of the tank to the body? You may have to add a ground wire. You can easily test to see if this is the problem by adding a short ground wire from the sender flange to a good chassis ground.

If all that looks good, check each connection and splice (if any) between the guage and the sender - something has become discombobulated!

Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: waldo53] #784736 Thu Sep 29 2011 07:01 PM
L
LonnieC Offline
Shop Shark
Jimmi -

I'm in the middle of replacing the fuel gauge on my '54. Hope it lasts longer than yours. You may have also lost the ground between the back of the gauge and the inside of the gauge cluster housing. Should be sanded shiney bright.

>> Question: When the ign is off, does (did) your fuel gauge read EMPTY or did the needle settle somewhere near the middle. The gauge that I bought from the Truck Shop settles a little past 1/2 full in the box before hookup and when hooked up with the power off.

Good luck with your gauge.

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: LonnieC] #784742 Thu Sep 29 2011 07:24 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist

The loss of ground at the sender or loss of connection between gauge and sender would spike a good gauge to Full.

What about the 50% reading when off? Did it originally read completely Empty when the key was off?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: tclederman] #784763 Thu Sep 29 2011 08:26 PM
L
LonnieC Offline
Shop Shark
Tim -

Not sure about the EMPTY reading with a bad ground on the gauge. That ground serves a different purpose than the ground at the sending unit. I bench tested my gauge and forgot to ground the gauge. I remember that it didn't read right when I briefly connected to power, just don't remember what it read. (Senior moment). Not saying you're right or wrong. Just saying that I'm not sure.

RE: my "50%" reading - -
My fuel gauge is a repro. It read 50% in the box. I bench tested it with the repro sending unit -- sending unit and gauge properly grounded. Seems to work OK, just does not go back to EMPTY when off, like the original ones did. I called The Truck Shop and was told mid-reading when off is OK. I noticed that pics in the Truck Shop catalog and other suppliers show the needle at various locations other than EMPTY.

Jimmi - please update us when you find the problem.

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: LonnieC] #784835 Fri Sep 30 2011 12:40 AM
J
Jimmi_V Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hey Guys, 12 volts system. My gauges were tested before putting them in. BUT....I had painted the housing inside and out ( to make it pretty )...gauges didn't work....had to investigate about the ground. Took it all apart ground it down and reinstalled it...worked great. I even gounded the sender with a wire to the back of the cab.
I just got back home,so I haven't had a chance to check it out. Still confused about it only going to half when Ign. is off vs. empty reading...Unless it reads what is in the tank even when off?
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

"True victory is victory over one's self."
Krav Maga isn't pretty ... but it works just fine.

Jimmi V.
Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: Jimmi_V] #784859 Fri Sep 30 2011 01:55 AM
L
LonnieC Offline
Shop Shark
Like I said, my 12v repro gauge from The Truck Stop reads about half full when off. It was that way in the box, before I hooked it up. Maybe that's the way gas gauges read in China!

- Lonnie
My '54 3104

Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: LonnieC] #784874 Fri Sep 30 2011 02:37 AM
S
squeeze Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by LonnieC
... The Truck Shop [said] mid-reading when off is OK...
and you didn't immediately ask for a refund?? ohwell

Bill

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Re: Gas Gauge Question [Re: squeeze] #784917 Fri Sep 30 2011 05:28 AM
L
LonnieC Offline
Shop Shark
The reason I backed off asking for a refund is that on-line photos of 1954 12v fuel gauges at American Classic, Classic Chevy, Filling Station, and The Truck Shop were all at 1/2 full. Jim Carter pre '54 gauge pics were also 1/2 full - '54 NA. Only Chevs of the 40's showed gauge at Empty, and that was available only in a cluster. Maybe it's a 12-volt thing (?)

- Lonnie
My '54 3104

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop