The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (68ironhead, 52 Blue, coilover, DANNY J, Elmo, 1 invisible), 109 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,432
Posts956,235
Members43,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ospho
#777804 Sat Sep 03 2011 07:38 PM
W
Shop Shark
I was at my local hardware store and saw this OSPHO rust converter. Has anyone used it? Does it topcoat good?

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Re: ospho
Whitedog #777812 Sat Sep 03 2011 08:04 PM
S
Master Gabster
it's phosphoric acid, works fine if you follow the directions

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Whitedog #777826 Sat Sep 03 2011 08:41 PM
M
Shop Shark
Before jumping in with both feet, I would recommend looking at the complete paint job as a whole for inter-compatibility. Just because someone has used it with good results does not mean you will experience the same results if you are using different paint products. If there are compatibility issues with what you are spraying directly over the Ospho, there stands a good chance to risk adhesion failure and thus paint failure down the road. To my knowledge, both House of Kolor and SPI epoxy primers are not compatible, there may be others. So prior to using an Ospho type product, insure it is compatible with your primer you plan on using (verify to the product data sheets). Otherwise you may be money ahead to find another method of prepping the panel that won't cause adhesion issues with your paint.

squeeze #777841 Sat Sep 03 2011 09:52 PM
Extreme Gabster
Originally Posted by squeeze
it's phosphoric acid, works fine if you follow the directions

Bill

It's main ingredient is phosphoric acid but it has added ingredients (which you pay dearly for)that might affect your final finish, as Robert pointed out. It is marketed as a paint prep. For parts de-rusting get the generic phosphoric acid.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Cletis #778020 Sun Sep 04 2011 04:45 PM
W
Shop Shark
I've never seen it before, just curious about it.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Whitedog #778207 Mon Sep 05 2011 01:07 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Hey Charlie, where do you get your "generic phosphoric acid"???

Denny G.

Denny Graham #778250 Mon Sep 05 2011 03:50 PM
S
Master Gabster
Denny - you might find it if you know anyone in the right industry, otherwise Home Depot paint dept has various brands of phosphoric acid [tile and grout cleaner] ... Ospho has about the same formula as any of them, around 85% phosphoric acid, around 15% water [otherwise the pure acid is a white powder] and a surfactant or wetting agent, which I'd suspect is sodium carbonate

Bill

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
squeeze #778255 Mon Sep 05 2011 04:10 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
I've been thru this a couple of time before Bill. I've got a bath with about three gallons of Behr concrete etch that I've stripped a bunch of stuff in. Behr changed their formula last year and took out the Phosporic Acid and the new stuff doesn't work at all on rust.

One of our members here was using Klean-Strip Phosporic Acid Prep & Strip that he got at Home Depot. His pictures looked like it left the metal with a fairly bright green stain. The Behr cleaner after rincing just left the parts with a very thin satin gray coating. I picked up a couple of gallons of the Klean-Strip last week but haven't had a chance to try it yet. The MSDS says the concentration is 35-45%. if it works as good as the Behr did I've got a BIG Rubbermade container I was going to put about tem more gallons in so I can clean some fairly large items.
Still won't be big enough to get the fender, hood or cab in thought, dang it!!!!

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
D

Denny Graham #778261 Mon Sep 05 2011 04:47 PM
S
Master Gabster
I remember your discussion about the Behr product Denny - maybe you could get the Klean-Strip up to 85% by evaporating out some of the water? of course then you'd need to buy twice as much wink

not clear why you'd use phosphoric acid, meant to be used as a wash, for a soak rather than using electrolysis to remove rust, which is way cheap and works so well

what I've been using now for phosphoric acid because it's readily available locally, is Metal Ready from POR15, intended to be used as a wipe and etch, but I've used Ospho with no subsequent paint problems - and either product after the electrolytic process

Bill

Denny Graham #778265 Mon Sep 05 2011 05:12 PM
Wrench Fetcher
You can get 85% phosphoric acid from duda diesal.com in various quantities from a quart to 51 gallon drums

Mike
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop