The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (klhansen, EdPruss, Harold46, D B Cooper, Joe H, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,490
Posts1,031,879
Members45,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recommendations for an electric fan for my 55.2
#755355 Fri Jun 17 2011 05:12 PM
J
'Bolter
Had my A/C filled this morning and the tech said that my mechanical fan is not pulling enough air through the condenser. Is there a good electric fan that is made for the 55.2 Chevy radiators? I refuse to have one that mounts with those "through core" mounting systems, needs to mount rigid to the sides.

So much for driving to work without sweating...

Re: Recommendations for an electric fan for my 55.2
jomichael #755367 Fri Jun 17 2011 05:42 PM
Jack of all trades and a Master of None!
You might have to take some measurements and look online for a fan that fits. I have not seen a fan that hard mounts to the core support without making your own bracket. Do you have a fan shroud? Do you want a push or pull style fan, which will determine size too..

My57Suburban [flic.kr]

This is the slickest swap I have seen for trucks
EZChassisSwap.com [e-zchassisswaps.com]
57Sub3100 #755369 Fri Jun 17 2011 05:55 PM
'Bolter
are you running stock? except for the A/C? HOW does the guy know what the fan is pulling?

That said, measure your radiator and find as big of fan as you can. They make some that pull/push quite a bit of air...some of the smaller fans can pull a lot of air. It will say on the box what the cfm's are that it pulls.

I went to Ace Hardware and bought me a 1/8" X 3/4" strip of aluminum. Then made me a template with a piece of coat hanger then bent the aluminum to match. Drilled a couple holes and mounted the electric fan with that. Sturdy as a rock. Here is a pic of what I did. Good luck.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/fanbrackets.jpg

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #755372 Fri Jun 17 2011 06:04 PM
J
'Bolter
That looks good Achipmunk! How much CFM does your fan pull? Do you have A/C?

The tech had a couple pressure gauges hooked up to the A/C and he said the pressure should be around 250 but it was hovering above 300 which meant the condenser was getting too hot. He said the mechanical fan/shroud I have is enough to keep the engine cool but once the A/C goes on it won't pull enough while at a stop light or around town. It's a reputable shop so I trust him.

I will do some measuring and see what fits. I was just wondering if there was a 55 Chevy specific one out there. Think this one might work if I mount it horizontally.
Flexlight 168

jomichael #755406 Fri Jun 17 2011 09:08 PM
J
Shop Shark
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=engine621A.jpg

http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=engine623b.jpg

Here’s the way I tackled the problem. The two fans came mounted in the shroud and I added an aluminum angle to either side of the radiator support to bolt it to. GearHead sells them as a white box special. 2500 CFM keeps the 283 running nice and cool in the Florida heat. (I am also running a 3 core aluminum radiator)

My Fleet:
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
johntsmith #755450 Sat Jun 18 2011 12:50 AM
J
'Bolter
That looks good johntsmith, is that aluminum radiator the same dimensions as the original? Another words would your set up work on my original replacement radiator?

I took my truck 4-wheeling out at one of the sandy areas out here today (not real four wheeling but about as close as it gets in Florida) and the temp gauge moved up to 215 in the 90 degree heat (my body temp seemed higher), so my A/C tech guy is right, I need an electric fan to cool this truck. It is fine on the street but putting around in 4 wheel drive really showed the weakness in the cooling system.

jomichael #755488 Sat Jun 18 2011 03:12 AM
B
Shop Shark
Check out the "Walker" radiator web site. I beleve you will need a shroud to make it work correctly. The "Spal" fan is considered, by most, the best as their test data used a blockage (radiator) in the flow rate data. Others use free air. If your up to it one can build a very good shroud with a piece of aluminum, a brake, and a little tig welding.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
jomichael #755506 Sat Jun 18 2011 04:22 AM
'Bolter
[quote=jomichael]That looks good Achipmunk! How much CFM does your fan pull? Do you have A/C?

... I don't know how much it pulls. My neighbor had it on his fully modified and blown 350 and had some heating problems and gave the fan to me. I do not have my a/c installed yet but I have ran the engine setting in my shop for extended periods in this hot weather we're having and it is just fine. I might add that I have a new 4 row Desert Cooler Radiator which by the way is made by U.S. Radiator here in the USA out in Ca. They also make a lot of other radiators. It'd be worth your time to go to their web site and read some very interesting stuff.

Let us know how you come out on this. I would suspect a fan pulling from 2500 cfm's up would be fine for your truck and the highest price is not necessarily the best. Shop around.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #755544 Sat Jun 18 2011 01:40 PM
D
Shop Shark
Sounds like you might just need to fabricate a mount for an additionasl fan.Which will do very little good if any good at all. Try installing a fan schroud,and chances are your troubles will be over.

dale937 #755562 Sat Jun 18 2011 02:59 PM
J
'Bolter
I have the factory shroud on with the mechanical fan. See photo below:
fan shroud

The truck has never overheated even when idling. It did start getting hot after crawling around in 4 wheel drive yesterday in 90 degree heat.

I will let you all know what fan I end up with. I just wanted to keep that factory look. I might be able to modify the current shroud to cover up the electric fan... we'll see.

Thanks for all the advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop