The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (52Carl, JD1, Justhorsenround, 66rollback, joe apple, 1 invisible), 191 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,149
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Exhuast wrap?
#74794 Wed Mar 14 2007 05:15 PM
S
Wrench Fetcher
Hello,
There seems to be some rabid opinions here about headers vs manifolds...and being somewhat on the ironheaded side I'm going to risk stirring that up again...:^)

One of the negatives that is used for tube headers is the extra heat in the engine compartment.

So why not just wrap up the header? I have seen this stuff in catalogs for ages, and Summit has about 5 different options. They even have a silicon sealant that will waterproof and turn black.

That is what these wraps are designed for, to insulate against the heat.

So why is that not mentioned in these discussions? What am I missing?

Dave

1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Re: Exhuast wrap?
#74795 Wed Mar 14 2007 07:42 PM
H
Boltergeist
Well, I guess if somebody wants to go to all the effort and expense to put something on the engine that will make the underhood temperature go to extremes, and then spend MORE money, time, and effort to correct the first blunder, go for it! I'll stick with what was engineered to work, and did it well for decades, the cast iron manifold.

Different strokes for different folks, but it seems to be sort of foolish to create a problem, then try to correct it, when headers are the answer to a nonexistent question!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
#74796 Thu Mar 15 2007 03:19 AM
Shop Shark
You will never see any gains on a street vehicle using headers over manifolds. Not enough to matter anyway. You need serious horsepower to have a need for headers. Even then, it's all going to be short lived,
Scott

Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#74797 Thu Mar 15 2007 11:50 AM
T
Extreme Gabster
That's why the cast iron Fenton "headers" are so popular.
Tube headers? My daily driver 96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 6 has short tube sheet metal headers,came that way from the factory like a million others just like it.I believe the common 2.5 4 cylinder engine used in older S10's also had a sheet metal manifold.Many new high perfomance vehicles have fabricated sheet metal exhaust manifolds,many are made of stainless steel to deal with heat and rust problems.
A set of well designed short length tube headers can be a definate advantage on a hi performance street engine.Long tube"tuned" headers tend to produce power in a narrow RPM range,fine for racing engines.And the long tubes lose a lot of heat and gas flow,needing a wrap job which is ok if the headers are designed for it.

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop