The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (LAWDOG54, ESum, Harold41, Jays58, Eureka Jim, 2 invisible), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,432
Posts956,237
Members43,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Deluxe heater disassembly challenge
#745797 Mon May 09 2011 02:23 AM
51sub Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I have been disassembling a deluxe heater for restoration and cannot remove the set screw holding the sqirrel cage onto the motor shaft. the tangs on the set screw are broken off and there is not enough room to get a drill in to drill out the set screw. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike
Re: Deluxe heater disassembly challenge
51sub #745825 Mon May 09 2011 04:28 AM
L
Shop Shark
Can you use a 6" drill and go thru the fan / between the blades? Would try to get this in cobalt which will have better time with case harden on set screw.

Dan Bentler

leitmotif #745861 Mon May 09 2011 11:38 AM
Shop Shark
if you dont need to replace the motor why take it off.

51 ashton #746064 Tue May 10 2011 03:16 AM
B
Shop Shark
I have used a extra long drill bit and drilled them out,then re-tapped the threads.I can't remember what size of drill bit.

Tim

"A house is built with boards and beams,a home is built with love and dreams"

Look deep before you leep !!!

"Everything is Everything"

"If I say a mouse can pull a house,Hitch him up"

My 1951 3100 Chevrolet
My 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall

bowtietim #746640 Thu May 12 2011 05:17 AM
51sub Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I was able to get the set screw out, low tech method.

Soaked in Kroil for 2 days then made a jig with plywood and cut a slot for screwdriver with a fine tooth hacksaw. came right out. Now I need to locate a new 6 volt motor, mine is dead.

Mike
51sub #746696 Thu May 12 2011 01:38 PM
D
Shop Shark
Not trying to recommend one vendor over another, this is just a start. I think others also sell this same motor.

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/5952/Chevrolet_HEATER_DEFROSTER_MOTOR_6VOLT.html

Good Luck.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
-Unknown-
di1953gmc #747322 Sun May 15 2011 11:44 PM
R
Shop Shark
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I did the same thing to mine but was too embarrassed to ask for help. Now all is well. What about the correct paint for the heater casing? Be well, Richard

Richard J Patrick
rpat356sc #749764 Wed May 25 2011 10:49 PM
D
Shop Shark
I am in the process of restoring a deluxe heater I purchased on Ebay. So far so good as I was able to remove the fan from the motor shaft and the heater core seems solid. Heck the motor even runs fine. I did open up the motor and replaced the brushes, cleaned it all out, lubed the bushings, cleaned the ammature (or is it commutator)? Anyway, my point is that instead of thinking a motor is dead, open it up and see if all it needs are new brushes and a good cleaning. Those motors are pretty robust and I doubt even running them at 12v would hurt them. I ran mine at 12v for testing purposes.

I plan on using Rustoleum dark bronze for the finish paint only because I am too lazy to get the "perfect" paint. Not trying to do a perfect restoration, just one that looks good. I am even contemplating painting the interior of the housing black...wont be seen and it seems a smoother (i.e. not hammered) paint would improve air flow (I know, not much, but hey). Now I need to go find new assembly screws with a blunt tip...will probably have to grind the tip of the many screws. Going to go SS if I can find them.

Last edited by DavidF; Wed May 25 2011 10:50 PM.
DavidF #749776 Thu May 26 2011 12:13 AM
T
Shop Shark
I got a motor at Napa that looks identical to the one you get at Chevs of the 40's, exact measurements and all, for under $30.00. Available in 6 or 12 volts.

Richard, try Hammerite Rust Cap Bronze, it's the closest match I've seen. Check out my photobucket pics.

David, I couldn't find screws that looked right, they were too long or the heads were too big, so I chucked them one at a time into my drill and worked each screw head against some 600 grit paper till they looked almost like chrome.

twotone #749871 Thu May 26 2011 12:02 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Twoton, ya'll got a NAPA number for those motors????
Most of the time when I go into a NAPA store around here, I get a kid or girl or someone that doesn't speak english. If it isn't a standard part on a 2006 Toyota they just stare back at you with a blank look on their face.

A screw that comes very close to the original should be in stock at McMaster Carr.
DG

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop