The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (3800GUY, Hambone, moparguy, 53 green 1- ton, tom moore, 1 invisible), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,730
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Split exhaust on a 292
#743078 Thu Apr 28 2011 04:15 AM
C
Shop Shark
I have a basically stock 292 engine that I'm hoping to get a little more power out of. Will a split exhaust give me anythnig extra?

Second question: Will the stock intake manifold work with split exhaust? I am wondering because in a stock configuration, they are bolted together for the heat transfer.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Craig

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Re: Split exhaust on a 292
chevoldsmoyota #743139 Thu Apr 28 2011 12:21 PM
Wrench Fetcher
I have a L6 292 inline and my suggestion is spend the bucks and get headers. There is no comparison to output when you compare headers over splitting the stock exhaust manifold. The flow for exhaust discharge increases considerably and that is what will improve the engine performance.
Normbc9

123456789101112 #743146 Thu Apr 28 2011 01:01 PM
C
Shop Shark
Thanks! Do you mean something like Langdon's? And what about using the stock intake with headers?

Craig

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
chevoldsmoyota #743169 Thu Apr 28 2011 02:39 PM
G
Shop Shark
I have Langdon's on mine. I used the stock intake for awhile till I put the Offy on.

gotgasd #743190 Thu Apr 28 2011 04:01 PM
C
Shop Shark
And did you notice significant improvement with the stock intake? Were there clearance issues?

Craig

CK
chevoldsmoyota #743233 Thu Apr 28 2011 06:48 PM
J
'Bolter
Once you separate the two manifolds, you will have to deal with the heating of the intake. I assume Idaho gets pretty cold! Heat helps the fuel stay vaporized even in warm climates, buts really important in cooler areas.

Langdon's headers look like quality parts and should work pretty good but long tube headers will provide more torque due to the long primary tubes. Cast headers will be quieter and will last forever, tube headers don't seal as well, burn paint off quicker, and are a little noisy (you can hear the exhaust pings in the pipes). The split stock exhaust manifolds are worthless for any kind of application other then for noise. The second outlet is at such a poor angle, I doubt much goes through it.

Joe

Joe H #743281 Thu Apr 28 2011 10:20 PM
C
Shop Shark
Joe,
Your engine looks GREAT! I assume that is a long-tube header you have. Where did you get it? Do you have any trouble with the heating of your triple manifold? You're right, we get cold here. In fact I had to scrape ice off the window this morning! So I don't want to deal with a tempermental beast in the winter. I plan to drive it all year long.

I'm not interested in making noise - the quieter the better! I'm just looking for some inexpensive horsepower and wondering if the dual exhaust is a viable option and worth the $$.

Thanks,

Craig

CK
chevoldsmoyota #743454 Fri Apr 29 2011 03:49 PM
J
'Bolter
Mine has a stock exhaust manifold on now. I got tired of the noise of the header, and it really wasn't much of a header. The primary pipes were really short running into a tapered pipe, very much like the lake style headers hotrods use. The intake was very hard to drive in cooler weather with out the heat under it, it took forever to get warmed up.

I ran mine at the dragstrip with three carbs and the oddball header, then went back the next week with stock one barrel and factory manifolds, both weeks the truck run the same numbers down to a tenth of a second and the same mph. So I figured why bother if it doesn't run any better!

Joe

Joe H #743456 Fri Apr 29 2011 03:58 PM
P
'Bolter
I doubt much goes through it?

Exactly as much as the front outlet.

panic #743472 Fri Apr 29 2011 05:02 PM
C
Shop Shark
Hey, I appreciate all the input, guys! It sounds like I'll be keeping my stock set-up. I guess these engines pulled lots of trucks and trailers around for years. . .Maybe not as fast as that new Cummins Turbo Diesel, but with way more style! My 292 might not get me there fast, but I know I'll get there!

Thanks again,

Craig

CK
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop