The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
21 registered members (Cablesmill, FootStomper, dynasoar, '54 3600, 2 invisible), 500 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics106,661
Posts834,135
Members39,824
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
Blast, Dan1945GMC, DANTHECHEVYMAN, Devin bloodorth, Devin c Bloodworth, DOOG, FyrFyterHauss, hotterbrat1, Jeff Riggins, Jeffs65GMC, sweeteddie
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
#1153906 - Mon Mar 07 2016 04:58 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Tango  Offline
Shop Shark
Texas
One Big Hurdle Out of the Way --- Have been working for the past couple of months on fabricating and installing a replacement for my frames main crossmember. The original was located where the new park brake had to fit on the back of the Allison 6-speed. To say it was a chore is a major understatement. It was also nerve wracking. In fact, I left the old one in place until the new one was completely installed for fear that cutting it might lead to some major movement that I could never correct.

The plan called for fabbing and bolting two C-channels that fit inside the original frame...then welding the actual crossmember to them going from side to side. I opted for bolting the C-channels to the frame with eight, grade 8, 1/2" flange bolts to avoid overheating the old metal, which I have been told can lead to cracking. MUCH more work, but I don't want to risk this old gal breaking in two.

I now have to build another crossmember to replace the front engine mount brace that was cut out long ago by whoever installed the 350 Chevy V-8 that was in this rig when I found it (the new engine is a little Cummins 4BT).

I posted some pix in my Flickr Album below for anyone so interested.

Meanwhile...the saga continues.

1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango

#1155213 - Tue Mar 15 2016 10:07 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Tango  Offline
Shop Shark
Texas
Still at it! --- just got back from the local driveline shop where I have been working up specs for a custom driveshaft. The first thing I learned is...they ain't cheap! Nearly a grand to have it built from scratch. It will have to be a two-piece shaft with a carrier bearing since it is a bit long to go with a single. A little more complex to fab for and install, but hey...at least it will be in line with everything else on this rig. Complicated & expensive.

My new spare tire carrier is ready to mount now. Had to work it and the hoist mechanism out before I can finish the new rear deck. There's a couple of pix in my album below.

ONWARD!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango

#1155241 - Wed Mar 16 2016 01:32 AM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Achipmunk  Offline
Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
Tango, don't mean to tease you but I sure wish you lived close by. I work part time for Carolina Driveline and could sure help you out big time.
http://carolinadriveline.com/
click on product line up...and then Restoration and you'll get a shot of my pickup and panel. Tom and Jennifer are great folks and been doing it a long time. I've know them for almost 20 year.

Glad to see your still chipping...uh, I mean HAMMERING away on this thing. Lots of folks get inspiration from you.

Keep on trucking brother....ONWARD and FORWARD!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

#1155321 - Wed Mar 16 2016 03:45 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Tango  Offline
Shop Shark
Texas
Howdy Chip --- Thanks for the encouragement. And Ya...I wish you were closer too! This drive train work is all new territory for me and might as well be voodoo. I could definitely use some expert guidance. The shop I am using here has a great reputation and has been around about as long as your shop (since '78) but the ballpark does seem high..."just under a grand". Of course, this is all 100% from scratch.

And that is one mighty sweet pair you have there. I am especially a sucker for panels. Had a '66 Dodge Town Wagon I drove for 17 years and put nearly 400K miles on. Could not wear out that little slant six. Still ran like a top and I never should have sold it.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango

#1160178 - Wed Apr 13 2016 04:24 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Tango  Offline
Shop Shark
Texas
Still putzing around with the drivetrain. Turns out I had to make a major adjustment to the pinion angle...like 13 degrees! Wound up welding two shims together and will weld them both directly onto the spring perches as soon as my new U-bolts arrive (they needed to be an inch longer). Will post some pix shortly.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango

#1162002 - Sun Apr 24 2016 03:56 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Tango  Offline
Shop Shark
Texas
YeeHaw! --- Finally have my driveline & rear axle all lined up and bolted in place. Had to fab ginormous pinion angle shims (13 degrees!) to get it right but now the jackshaft & rear angle are right according to Spicer specs.

STILL waiting on my local machine shop to finish up their work on some engine & steering components but have been told (once again)..."sometime next week"). We'll see.

As usual, there are some update pix in my Flickr Album below.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango

#1164012 - Thu May 05 2016 08:42 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Tango  Offline
Shop Shark
Texas
Well, after getting "next week" for about a month, I finally have one of the critical items back. Just installed the fancy,schmancy accessory bracket from Duiser Offroad/Jonesy's. It is a billet aluminum mount for the Aalt plus an A/C compressor on a Cummins 4BT. Pretty trick but I still had to perform major mods for it all to fit my narrow '46 frame. Tried a test fit with both the alt & A/C and everything fits. Tighly...but it fits.

I am now wrapping up building a new draglink made up from pieces of my original Chevy parts and the new '03 Isuzu NPR power steering system. Hope to have it all together either this weekend or early next week. Hmmm..."next week"...where have I heard that before.

There are a few new pix of this nonsense on my Flickr Album.

Last edited by Tango; Thu May 05 2016 08:43 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango

#1164066 - Fri May 06 2016 02:48 AM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Achipmunk  Offline
Looking good. You are definitely doing the Tango. Thanks for the updates. You are an inspiration to us all.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

#1164183 - Fri May 06 2016 11:21 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Tango  Offline
Shop Shark
Texas
Thanks Chip...but I am wondering...what is the record for the longest build thread on this site? Not a title I set to claim.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

All my best --- Tango

#1164191 - Sat May 07 2016 12:09 AM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]  
Achipmunk  Offline
Tango, I spent 5 years on the helpless 37 pickup and I spent a little over 6 years on the basket case 52panel. I'm sure there are many that took longer than that. I enjoyed ever frustration and refused to let them beat me!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
1950 Chevy Coupe

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->