The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 registered members (GarlandFarms, David C., bluesman, jerrym, bowtietim, Grigg), 81 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,096
Posts913,349
Members42,110
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Differential Noise #730347
Wed Mar 16 2011 03:38 AM
Wed Mar 16 2011 03:38 AM
S
Super55  Offline OP
Shop Shark
Maple Ridge, BC
My brother in law recently bought a 64 1/2 ton bolt and was out driving it around the other day and was getting what he reported as a heck of noise coming from the differential. He limped home, jacked it up and said that one side he can turn the wheel quite easily, and the other he can't. He took out the drain plug on the differential and stuck his finger in, and he couldn't feel any oil. I am going to go down and see him this weekend to check it out. I have only worked on one differential in my life and that was in my antique tractor. What might I expect to find in there? I am guessing chipped teeth and metal bits. What would be the repair if he has major damage? Rebuild the rear end or try and find a donor? Are parts available? Shadetree mechanic work or take it to a shop? Any advice would be appreciated. He said he as the shop manual on disc, so that might be a big help.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Re: Differential Noise [Re: Super55] #730388
Wed Mar 16 2011 06:23 AM
Wed Mar 16 2011 06:23 AM
R
Ron Peterson  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Western Oregon
With one side turning and the other not, it could be a brake problem. Does the '64 have a drain plug? My '41 doesn't and I could see the oil level in fill plug to be out of reach on a finger. If the gears are scrambled, I don't think you could limp home very far anyway. A used pumpkin will set you back $150 in my neck of the woods. Assuming you find a good one it isn't that difficult to swap one out. Good luck and I hope it is a simple brake issue.

Re: Differential Noise [Re: Ron Peterson] #730397
Wed Mar 16 2011 07:41 AM
Wed Mar 16 2011 07:41 AM
1958GMCnut  Offline
Shop Shark
Langley BC Canada
Paul, try IWE...

http://www.iwerearendsonly.com/about.php

they are in burnaby and are reasonable...

My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos
Re: Differential Noise [Re: Super55] #730400
Wed Mar 16 2011 08:17 AM
Wed Mar 16 2011 08:17 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln  Offline
Boltergeist
Dellrose, TN
Take the rear cover plate off and look for damaged gears, metal filings, etc. Be sure to have a drain pan ready as you remove the bolts- - - -the remaining lube, if any, will be a nasty, stinky mess. Assuming you don't find expensive bits and pieces in the bottom of the housing, flush the housing well with mineral spirits or Diesel fuel (I use a hand-pumped garden sprayer) reinstall the plate, and refill to the level of the fill plug with fresh 90 weight lube. Things will either improve or not. Either way, all you're out of pocket so far is an hour's worth of work and a couple of bottles of 90 weight. It's also possible he's got a bad axle bearing on the side that's stiff to turn.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop