The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (PapaDisco, Brad Allen, BC59), 155 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,423
Members43,829
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
water pump adapter
#71109 Thu Jan 04 2007 04:45 AM
G
GEC52 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Can some one tell how the water pump adapter plate works? Yes, I know it moves the pump up. Water must circulate thru the pump. But, doesn't the plate cover the holes in the block? I have a 60, 235 that I'm going to adapt for my 52. I like to know the principles before I start most things.
Glenn,

Scootin thru with a 52,
Good, Economic and Classic
1952 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Re: water pump adapter
#71110 Thu Jan 04 2007 05:36 AM
Extreme Gabster
There are holes in the plate that let the water flow from the back of the pump to the block. It doesn't hurt the flow any.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#71111 Thu Jan 04 2007 03:31 PM
F
Shop Shark
A couple things about the adaptor plate installation. You'll have to drill and tap a couple 3/8" holes in your block to properly secure the pump and plate. You use the adaptor plate as a pilot to get the holes properly placed. The instructions you'll get take you step by step...no guess-work involved.

If your engine is a 60 CAR engine running a larger diameter car harmonic balancer, you will overspeed the pump so you'll need to get a TRUCK balancer. If it's a 60 TRUCK engine, the TRUCK balancer will have the correct diameter pulley. A truck balancer is interchangable with a car balancer.

If you are planning to run a 3/8" belt, you would run the 53-54 truck balancer. A 5/8" belt, would require a 41-54 truck balancer. The 3/8" belt is most commonly used with an alternator, pwr steering pump and a/c compressor.

The beauty of this setup is that you can replace the pump with a stock 41-54 pump from any of your local parts suppliers. I got my pump from NAPA which offered both the 3/8 and 5/8" pulley pumps.

In addition, your pump will now be centered in the radiator, the pump will spin at the proper speed. I run a six blade 15" diameter flex fan and idled the truck for 20 minutes with the temp staying at 180 degrees.

My fan clears the harmonic balancer and has about 3/4" clearance from the radiator with it mounted in the correct factory holes. I purchased my adaptor plate from a guy on this site...Pre68Dave....great service and a quality product. This isn't necessarily an endorsement...it's a fact!!! I've got some pics of the pump w/plate on my Webshots "shoebox".I hope this helps.

Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#71112 Thu Jan 04 2007 04:13 PM
C
Wrench Fetcher
GEC52 ... did you buy an adaptor plate? If not I just bought one and I'll give you a great deal on it, as I decided not to use it. Let me know I'll send pictures.

My problem with the plate was that I bought Patricks short waterpump and it is a later model pump that doesn't work with the adapter plate. So after some serious thought I decided to stay with the new water pump.

#71113 Thu Jan 04 2007 09:26 PM
T
Shop Shark
The adapter plate works great, I've ran the short pumps in the past they worded ok but the plate is the way to go. If you're going to use one do the drilling and tapping before the motor's installed.

#71114 Fri Jan 05 2007 07:31 AM
J
Hey chev235,
Sent you a PM -- Jeff

#71115 Fri Jan 05 2007 12:41 PM
T
Extreme Gabster
I've used the adapter on four 235-261 engines.Like said above,it fairly easy to do if the engine is on a stand,a little tricky trying to drill with the engine in place,radiator removed,but possible.
The 216 type water pump is designed to be driven about 1.4 times the crankshaft speed.The 55 and up pump is underdriven,slightly less than crank speed.You may want to fidget around with pump pulleys,a 60's Falcon 6 pump pulley is the right diameter and depth if you're using a 3/8 belt.Takes a little engineering to do this.Watch the fan speed cause an old fan may not like being driven faster than is was designed for.I used after market paddle blade flex fans,easy to trim the blade edge for damper clearance if necessary,and they are rated for 8000 rpm pump speed.
I had used the short pumps,the engines all ran hot when caught in traffic cause the fan is too low.With the adapters and higher mounted 216 pumps,never got hot and even ran a touch cooler driving at road speeds.

#71116 Fri Jan 05 2007 04:13 PM
G
GEC52 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Wow,thanks guys. That is some great info. I never thought or heard of fan speed before. I was going to use the pump (short shaft) off my 51, 235. I have not bought an adapter yet. I will also check the balancer today to see what size it is. Thx for now.

Glenn,

Scootin thru with a 52,
Good, Economic and Classic
1952 Chevy 1/2-Ton
#71117 Fri Jan 05 2007 04:24 PM
Shop Shark
I'd like to use the adapter plate but the 261 style pumps can be purchased with 2 ports such that one of them can be used for heating the intake.

Is there any such thing as a 2-port pump for a 216?

Mike

1950 GMC 1-ton pickup, 55.1 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
#71118 Sat Jan 06 2007 07:03 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Interesting thread, i wonder how many people are over spinning or under spinning their fans out there? I'm going to have to check all of mine to make sure they are at the right speed.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop